• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
map_btd.png

Looks like it was a weak low/late bloomer.

yo123.gif

The bottom surface map doesn't match with regard to dates as it says 1948 instead of what should be 1958.

The bottom surface map doesn't match with regard to dates as it says 1948 instead of what should be 1958.
Thanks, I didn't catch that and was a bit off in the look.. let me get that fixed.

Original post fixed.

Thanks, I didn't catch that and was a bit off in the look.. let me get that fixed.

Original post fixed.

YW. Yeah, I had that one actually cross central FL as a very weak low before the map you displayed. A very interesting thing is that the top 6 Columbia snows of your list all had a low cross way down south in the general vicinity of CENTRAL FL (1973 is more north-central). The next four after that (#7 through #10) all crossed further north over the NORTHERN FL peninsula. So, your best for a real blockbuster seems to be a central FL crossover and the low doing that can be quite weak.

YW. Yeah, I had that one actually cross central FL as a very weak low before the map you displayed. A very interesting thing is that the top 6 Columbia snows of your list all had a low cross way down south in the general vicinity of CENTRAL FL (1973 is more north-central). The next four after that (#7 through #10) all crossed further north over the NORTHERN FL peninsula. So, your best for a real blockbuster seems to be a central FL crossover and the low doing that can be quite weak.
Since a low crossing central fl is best for Columbia to get big snows, wouldn't the same be true for Atlanta ? Atlanta is slightly South in latitude compared to Columbia so I imagine the low would need to be just as far south for Atlanta to get big snows ?

Since a low crossing central fl is best for Columbia to get big snows, wouldn't the same be true for Atlanta ? Atlanta is slightly South in latitude compared to Columbia so I imagine the low would need to be just as far south for Atlanta to get big snows ?

North and central FL have both given ATL major snows a number of times. North has done it a good bit more often than central FL at ATL, which can be partially attributed to central FL crossovers being quite a bit less frequent than north FL crossovers. Also, with ATL being 200 miles west of Columbia's longitude and considering that most of these lows travel at least a little north of due east, I can see where some N FL crossovers would be cold enough for ATL but not cold enough for Columbia to get as much snow. Also, a central crossover will sometimes be too far south for ATL to get nearly as much as Columbia or even anything (examples 2/1973 nothing for ATL while huge for Columbia; 2/1914 gave Columbia ~5 times as much snow as ATL).

euro control is all in day 12 for Arkansas, Tennessee and NC

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

the eps is very active days 9-15. Lots of good looks

Weenie euro control two huge SE winter storms day 9-15

We are in trouble if we are picking the Control over the mean for our chances. :(

I was hoping models were hinting at something.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk
They are if you like heat! Or if you believe the GEFS

Well one thing I know for sure with how the models have gone lately (and by lately I mean the last few years) is we're going to have to wait a while longer before finding out on February. They don't usually show fantasy storms anymore, when a storm usually shows it's likely going to stick, with a few tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back