• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Microwave March

Nice to have the woodstove going again in Feb. Even up here, crab apples in full bloom... really unusual. Note 1, have not seen a robin yet.... I know, animals don't predict weather. Note 2, just because you are brilliant, doesn't mean you have to be a total jerk.

What we need is some big volcanic eruptions to put a blanket of particulates around the earth to act as a soothing, cooling blanket of cloudy softness. Kind of a Downey atmospheric cap to keep those harmful sun rays from heating up the air down here, lol. Get a big one in Iceland, another in Indonesia, and a huge one in the Yucatan, and we'll once again have a change at very cold rain, and might find our missing winters, in the spring and fall, lol. Plus we'll get to use up all those extra grain supplies clogging up the strategic reserve silo's! Tony

Nice! I'll second this cataclysmic desire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm basic with my learning, I have trouble with terminology with some things. I learn slower, (that is my disability, is learning slower and I have to break things down into a simpler form.) Sometimes I don't like telling people that I have a learning disability, cause I don't want people to think I'm mental, which I'm not. I'm actually smart and very intelligent. I put things in an easier way to understand it. So, when y'all act like I don't know nothing, that really does hurt my feelings. I do know things, like I said, I put things into a different way for me to understand it. So, that's probably why it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, cause I put things in the way of how I imagine it. The way I learn, I have to see things visually, not words. That's why I like to look at maps and graphs to help me understand it better. That's why I'm here, is to share my knowledge of how I understand it. I also would love to get a degree in atmospheric science but I can't. The physics in atmospheric science is very difficult for me. I don't understand that kind of math. It upsets me sometimes cause weather forecasting is something that I always wanted to do as a career but I can't do that career without that degree, which I won't be able to get with my learning disability. It's not fair at all.
Don't get down buddy. I like your posts and contributions to the board and so do many others on here. I don't think anyone is trying to be mean or saying that you aren't smart. I think they are just pointing out some things you posted that they disagree with which is perfectly fine. We are all here because we love weather and want to learn more about it. Now if we could just get some snow it would lighten the mood in all of us!

My parents have said that if I wasn't as bad at math as I was I would have tried to become a meteorologist.

And I mean, its bad. It's so bad that when I basically failed College Algebra the first time (a D isn't going to be accepted) I was too scared to retake it immediately and it ultimately was a part of a few different reasons why I left regular college. It's not just algebra, I'm bad at all types of math.

I don't think I have a learning disability, and for the most part, I'm comfortable with any other college level subject (and have been for longer than this). But I'm so bad in math that my failures in it has brought me to tears on occasion.

On topic, this GFS run is the first one that I've really paid attention to that is much warmer than the other ones. I think there are two threats at a widespread freeze, but it's not as widespread as it was lately.

Yes , this run keeps the cold air to the N of most of us! Maybe all the trees and flowers won't die!? GFS caving to Euro, again! :)

Should I post the hour 384 image?

Hmmmm...ok

ac98216652bd3dfc30d8734215d05de2.jpg

Two thoughts come to mind:
1) If pigs could fly, and
2) There is something odd about the temp gradient.
Nice eye candy, in any event!

The temp gradient is odd because this image is post-truncation. Anything after 240 hours is ran at a lower resolution and in 12 hour frames so it can't get the finer details right (temps, etc). Toggle between 240 and 252 and you'll see everything gets more "blocky" due to lower resolution. So precip type maps post 240 are pretty much worthless lol

The temp gradient is odd because this image is post-truncation. Anything after 240 hours is ran at a lower resolution and in 12 hour frames so it can't get the finer details right (temps, etc). Toggle between 240 and 252 and you'll see everything gets more "blocky" due to lower resolution. So precip type maps post 240 are pretty much worthless lol

Jon,
Precisely! If I suggested otherwise, chalk it up to bad Sunday morning composition by yours truly! ;)
Best,
Phil
PS - You have to admit, though, it is "pretty" nonetheless!

Reactions: Jon
I remember my first fantasy land storm. Needless to say after one year I wasn't taking those seriously until around 240 hours and earlier.

so.........the cold is back so far on the 6z/12z GFS.
And so is fantasy snow. It looks like winter behind the march 6th system, with temps staying well below 50 all day for days. Also, what a look this is. The GFS wants to give us a -NAO with a nice ridge out west. But you know the story, it probably won't come.
gfs_z500a_namer_46.png

Okay now that I see the late portion of the GFS, I have a good feeling that none of this GFS run is going to happen. WTF? Why would a system just start to curl over from the northeast coast into Canada?

Back