• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2017-18 discussion

A winter storm like the Carolina Crusher of 2000 would be nice. Would like to see it take the same track that one did. Just don't want the foot of snow falling on top of .50 of ice we had received a day earlier that had not melted. All of our Raleigh posters would go crazy over another storm like that. It's still hard to believe I got 1 foot of snow, while places less than 10 miles away barely got a dusting.

Well that took our power out for 4 days. The foot of snow alone may not have did that. It was nice looking of course, but I didn't like being in the dark that long.
And you want a tropical system? They do the same thing down here (power out for 4 days), except it's 92º or more and no A/C for the duration; at least in winter you can fire up the wood and stay warm. Major 180º difference ... :confused: ... Just sayin' ... :rolleyes:

And you want a tropical system? They do the same thing down here (power out for 4 days), except it's 92º or more and no A/C for the duration; at least in winter you can fire up the wood and stay warm. Major 180º difference ... :confused: ... Just sayin' ... :rolleyes:

06586db2c82ea550ba54d7b3ea8f8013.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would only take a weak tropical system, a lot like Cindy earlier this year to change things. That system caused few problems for a tropical system. It does not have to be a hurricane. Also like Jerry in 1995. That one did drop too much rain in parts of the Carolinas, but only because of slow movement. It barely made storm status if I remember correctly.

snow plows were at DFW airport today to train for winter weather :D
'
I know, I was surprised Dallas even HAS snow plows. Apparently only got them after the 2011 debacle at the Super Bowl.

snow plows were at DFW airport today to train for winter weather :D
'
I know, I was surprised Dallas even HAS snow plows. Apparently only got them after the 2011 debacle at the Super Bowl.
Sweet

Greg Fishel posted this on Facebook. Let's hope this doesn't mean this winter is going to be like the winter of 05-06. Only got a trace of snow here that winter.

24 OF FIRST 27 DAYS OF JULY HAVE HIT 90º OR HIGHER. EVER HAPPEN BEFORE?

Yes, but only once, and the parallels with that year are amazing. The all-time record for most number of days at 90º or higher during the month of July is 25 days set in the year 2005. If we hit 90º tomorrow, which is not impossible, we would tie that record. Here are the interesting parallels:

First sub 90º day: 2005: July 3 (87) 2017: July 5 (89)
2nd sub 90º day: 2005: July 18 (86) 2017: July 9 (88)
3rd sub 90º day: 2005: July 24 (89) 2017: July 18 (89)
4th sub 90º day: 2005: July 29 (80) 2017: July 29 (??)
5th sub 90º day: 2005: July 30 (83) 2017: July 30 (??)
6th sub 90º day: 2005: July 31 (81) 2017: July 31 (??)

Notice that the last 3 days of July, 2005 also had a big cool down, just the like one we're anticipating. So the only question is tomorrow. We either fall one short of the record, or tie it. Either way, July of 2005 and July of 2017 are kindred spirits!

This is a complete shot in the dark.. but does an active hurricane season in the Atlantic have any correlation to winter weather in the SE. My assumption is based solely on the fact that hurricanes lower SSTs and currently they are boiling

Let's hope we don't see a winter like 1914-15 again. I think many of us would lose our minds from seeing it snow so heavily, so early in the season and then go insane from the suspense and eventual disappointment of not seeing snow again in the winter during our legitimate climatological period for wintry weather then to only suffer aneurysms to see a pair of big dogs show up in time for April lol... What a troll winter.
November 19-20 1914 NC Snowmap.png

March 30-31 1915 NC Snowmap.png

April 2-3 1915 NC Snowmap.png

Glenn Burns using 1971 as an analog year for this upcoming winter.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Back