Tropical Hurricane Jose

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
poor islands just hit by Irma

The government of Antigua has issued a Hurricane Watch for the
islands of Antigua and Barbuda.

Here goes Jose (and Lee following behind)

ecmwf_z500a_atl_11.png

Serious question though won't there be the same ridge that's affecting irma for Jose? Why does it recurve on most models?

I did a double take when I saw this, but many members (nearly half) of the 0Z EPS actually hit the CONUS with Jose (yes, Jose) between 9/16 and 9/22 anywhere from FL to ME! So, we may have to deal with Jose after all in 8-14 days!

Last edited:
Jose officially a 150 mph category 4. Definitely a legitimate, yet small chance of 2 simultaneous category 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic if Irma can re-intensify and Jose becomes just a little stronger. Insane how active the basin has become...
10:00 AM AST Fri Sep 8
Moving: WNW at 18 mph
Min pressure: 942 mb
Max sustained: 150 mph

Starting to get a little more anxious about Jose... The further west Irma goes, at least in the short term, the further west Jose also comes...
Yeah, I feel really bad for Barbuda as I feel Jose is going to slam them. Jose went way south of the projected path this morning and is going WNW and not more NW. I fear we may have to deal with Jose down the road after he makes a loop.

Concerning for the same Islands of course but realistically this doesn't have much chance of ever being a US threat does it?

It may have a legitimate chance, the steering currents are forecast to break down over Jose in about 4-5 days and thereafter it's a toss up whether he meanders and finds his way OTS or gets stuck underneath a subtropical ridge axis and undergoes a cyclonic loop and is shot back WSW-SW in the general direction of the Greater Antilles, Bahamas, and southeastern US....

Reactions: Metwannabe
It may have a legitimate chance, the steering currents are forecast to break down over Jose in about 4-5 days and thereafter it's a toss up whether he meanders and finds his way OTS or gets stuck underneath a subtropical ridge axis and undergoes a cyclonic loop and is shot back WSW-SW in the general direction of the Greater Antilles, Bahamas, and southeastern US....
OMG Euro is trying to do just that....

Reactions: Webberweather53