• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Reminiscing Thread

The snowy winters of my childhood? I saw three+ inches, three times before I turned 21. In 1993 of course, then I had to wait until 2000 and 2002, then I had to wait until 2010.

I didn't even top 93 til I moved to Tulsa 🤣 kind of pathetic

Well tomorrow is the 20th Anniversary of the February 2004 Snowstorm. This is still my favorite storm to experience here in the CLT area. I was off NC 200 between Concord and Midland at the time, and will never forget how the storm arrived just before 8am that morning… I literally saw a cloud of white moving towards me. The temperature crashed from the upper 30s to the upper 20s in a just a few minutes. I got to see 8” pile up during the day and then after a late afternoon lull, that upper low crawled over at just absolutely dumped with 2”/ hr rates for over 6 hours… it was complete with thunder and very bright lightning.
My long winded 20th anniversary recollection of February 26, 2004: School was called off and I remember my mom, brother and I had to bring my grandmother to a doctors appointment at what was then called the Nalle Clinic off Randolph Road in Charlotte, about 5 miles from my grandparents house. We drove my grandparents front wheel drive Saturn because my moms rear wheel drive Explorer didn’t do well in the snow. The appointment must’ve been around 10 in the morning because we didn’t have much trouble getting there. That building had huge windows on two sides and I remember watching as heavy snow was swirling around outside while we were stuck at the doctors office.

By the time we got out, probably a little after lunch, roads were horrible and it seemed like all of Charlotte had lunchtime dismissal from work. It took over an hour to get back to my grandparents house. By that time, neither the Saturn or the Explorer would do well, so we waited on my dad to come pick us up at my grandparents in his 4wd Trooper when he got off work. When we got back home, probably around 3 or 4 pm, we were in the lull and I thought the storm was over. At that point I think there was 5 or 6 inches on the ground. My brother and I played some one on one tackle football in the backyard.

I think it was around 6 pm or so when snow started picking back up, and we had Udelson on WSOC saying that we basically had thunderstorm cells training over us, and it could last for hours. I distinctly remember one crack of thunder and a flash of light looking out my parents sliding glass door, wondering in disbelief if it could be a transformer blowing instead. Later in the evening, my dad decided he and I would take a ride around the neighborhood in the Trooper. Even with wipers going full blast, we could only see a few feet out in front of us.

The deluge continued well into the evening, at least until 10 or 11 pm. Snow was up to my knees and up to the belly of our 15 year old Labrador. The next morning, I measured 16 inches on my parents patio table. There were much higher drifts. I recall some additional snow showers that came through on the 27th that may have led to another inch or so of accumulation.

I’ve said it before, but it’s a shame there’s not hardly any videos of this event online. Unfortunately the few pictures I took of it were mostly lost on an old computer. I have a couple I printed out.

My long winded 20th anniversary recollection of February 26, 2004: School was called off and I remember my mom, brother and I had to bring my grandmother to a doctors appointment at what was then called the Nalle Clinic off Randolph Road in Charlotte, about 5 miles from my grandparents house. We drove my grandparents front wheel drive Saturn because my moms rear wheel drive Explorer didn’t do well in the snow. The appointment must’ve been around 10 in the morning because we didn’t have much trouble getting there. That building had huge windows on two sides and I remember watching as heavy snow was swirling around outside while we were stuck at the doctors office.

By the time we got out, probably a little after lunch, roads were horrible and it seemed like all of Charlotte had lunchtime dismissal from work. It took over an hour to get back to my grandparents house. By that time, neither the Saturn or the Explorer would do well, so we waited on my dad to come pick us up at my grandparents in his 4wd Trooper when he got off work. When we got back home, probably around 3 or 4 pm, we were in the lull and I thought the storm was over. At that point I think there was 5 or 6 inches on the ground. My brother and I played some one on one tackle football in the backyard.

I think it was around 6 pm or so when snow started picking back up, and we had Udelson on WSOC saying that we basically had thunderstorm cells training over us, and it could last for hours. I distinctly remember one crack of thunder and a flash of light looking out my parents sliding glass door, wondering in disbelief if it could be a transformer blowing instead. Later in the evening, my dad decided he and I would take a ride around the neighborhood in the Trooper. Even with wipers going full blast, we could only see a few feet out in front of us.

The deluge continued well into the evening, at least until 10 or 11 pm. Snow was up to my knees and up to the belly of our 15 year old Labrador. The next morning, I measured 16 inches on my parents patio table. There were much higher drifts. I recall some additional snow showers that came through on the 27th that may have led to another inch or so of accumulation.

I’ve said it before, but it’s a shame there’s not hardly any videos of this event online. Unfortunately the few pictures I took of it were mostly lost on an old computer. I have a couple I printed out.
Im honestly surprised that there aren’t more videos of it on YouTube. I’ve found a couple but there’s not of the local stations reporting of it which is a shame because there were some really great live shots that evening from along 485 to the east of the city where that heaviest band just kept training over. When the snow showers finished the next afternoon, I ended up measuring 20.7” at my house, but i think it’s very possible it may have compacted some before a measured. The funniest thing was that 3 days later we had a high in the mid to uppers 60s with still a good 4-5” of snow on the ground

Im honestly surprised that there aren’t more videos of it on YouTube. I’ve found a couple but there’s not of the local stations reporting of it which is a shame because there were some really great live shots that evening from along 485 to the east of the city where that heaviest band just kept training over. When the snow showers finished the next afternoon, I ended up measuring 20.7” at my house, but i think it’s very possible it may have compacted some before a measured. The funniest thing was that 3 days later we had a high in the mid to uppers 60s with still a good 4-5” of snow on the ground
I even remember Dave Faherty with WSOC doing a live shot for Good Morning America the morning of the 27th with the interstate completely snow covered in the background. I had a high school math competition at UNCC two days after the storm that didn’t get cancelled, even though there were still some slushy spots on the road. Pretty sure it was around 60 degrees already on the 28th.

I swear I think I recall Steve Crump standing in the middle of Independence while it was temporarily closed.

6 inches of snow on Christmas morning along with thunder and lightning during a snowstorm just weeks later was my best memory of weather. I doubt l’ll ever top that

I swear I think I recall Steve Crump standing in the middle of Independence while it was temporarily closed.
He was right near Bojangles Arena and actually took a measurement on the 11pm news and the snow was 12.5” deep on the road. The city only owned 6 snow plows at the time so they started reaching out to private contractors the next morning to help clear streets

13 years ago today one of the larger tornado outbreaks in NC in recent history, including a long track tornado that went right through the center of Wake County. I remember attending the NC State spring game earlier in the day and being concerned that the sun was coming out, then sitting in my dorm room at Bragaw watching the radar as the storm passed through Carthage and Sanford making a b-line toward campus. The storm ended up passing south and east of campus, and was luckily no longer an EF-3 by the time it got into town.

58ED876A-FEEC-45B9-AB9E-D7CBB2036CE8.jpeg

13 years ago today one of the larger tornado outbreaks in NC in recent history, including a long track tornado that went right through the center of Wake County. I remember attending the NC State spring game earlier in the day and being concerned that the sun was coming out, then sitting in my dorm room at Bragaw watching the radar as the storm passed through Carthage and Sanford making a b-line toward campus. The storm ended up passing south and east of campus, and was luckily no longer an EF-3 by the time it got into town.

View attachment 147446

Always amazing to me when I think about the 4/15 and 4/16 outbreaks, and how big they were and then consider what occurred less than two weeks later.

Back