• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
just absolutely amazingly weird

curtmp.png

Go Gators (temp wise)!!! :):D:p:cool:

C4_aup2_Uo_AAOAp_O.jpg

That's a beautiful map for Gainesville for 3PM, when Gainesville was only 64. Up here in the northland of SAV, it was 67 then. But what a beautiful day for a walk. Low dewpoints and PC skies made for a very pleasant walk. Oh, how I'll long for this once we get to May and beyond!
Raleigh was then at a whopping 72, which was 19 warmer than normal!

When I get a chance, I'm going to post about a very interesting wintry weather event from a deep southerner's standpoint from very late in one March. You won't want to miss it!

Last edited:
That's a beautiful map for Gainesville for 3PM, when Gainesville was only 64. Up here in the northland of SAV, it was 67 then. But what a beautiful day for a walk. Low dewpoints and PC skies made for a very pleasant walk. Oh, how I'll long for this once we get to May and beyond!
I take a bottle out and let it fill with cool air on a day like today; then cork it and put it in the fridge; come July 4th when the fireworks start at Flavit, I uncork the bottle at 9:45 PM and remember - silly but a way to remember!
(Along with a cold Corona) ;)

When I get a chance, I'm going to post about a very interesting wintry weather event from a deep southerner's standpoint from very late in one March. You won't want to miss it!
Here's one for the books -
My Mom was driving from Chapel Hill to Wilmington NC to go home for Thanksgiving and her radiator froze; my Dad went quail hunting in Thomasville GA, leaving the house in short sleeves, and by the time the front came through, a mile from the house, they were blue and numb

Screen_Shot_2017_02_18_at_7_44_20_PM.png

looking forward!

On 3/26-27/1955, a very strong cold front propelled by a massive 1045 mb high in Montana moved SEward all of the way through FL. That front became stationary late on 3/27 over the FL Straits. On 3/28, a weak surface low formed along the front near S FL/NW Bahamas and caused precip. to break out to the NW into FL, S GA, and SE SC. Some of the precip. was in the form of sleet and/or snow mixed with rain. Also, New Orleans even got a trace of wintry! Keep in mind this was on 3/28, not 2/28 and not even mid March! Tallahassee got an incredible 0.4" of sleet/snow! Even Jacksonville got a trace! Gainesville had a high on 3/28/55 of a mere 42, which is amazingly cold for late March or anytime in March for that matter! Phil would be in ecstasy no doubt. I mean a high of 42 a full month earlier way up in Atlanta would be something of note. That's how out of kilter was late March of 1955 in the Deep South.

This is just one more example of why I don't like to count my winter chickens before the March lion has had its say.

Last edited:
On 3/26-27/1955, a very strong cold front propelled by a massive 1045 mb high in Montana moved SEward all of the way through FL. That front became stationary late on 3/27 over the FL Straits. On 3/28, a weak surface low formed along the front near S FL/NW Bahamas and caused precip. to break out to the NW into FL, S GA, and SE SC. Some of the precip. was in the form of sleet and/or snow mixed with rain. Also, New Orleans even got a trace of wintry! Keep in mind this was on 3/28, not 2/28 and not even mid March! Tallahassee got an incredible 0.4" of sleet/snow! Even Jacksonville got a trace! Gainesville had a high on 3/28/55 of a mere 42, which is amazingly cold for late March or anytime in March for that matter! Phil would be in ecstasy no doubt. I mean a high of 42 a full month earlier way up in Atlanta would be something of note. That's how out of kilter was late March of 1955 in the Deep South.

This is just one more example of why I don't like to count my winter chickens before the March lion has had its say.
Absolutely!!!

Though not "common", March freezes in Gainesville are not something we are not at least familiar with.

Not sure what source you use for historic weather, but if not this, here's another really handy tool -
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx
you need to enter the location and then go to the tab in the upper left (Local), do the drop down (Historic Averages), and choose your month and you'll have daily records and monthly info for whatever location ... ;)

Calling it quits for a while, as soon as my wife finishes grading exams, and headed out to enjoy early summer - but while waiting for her to finish, I added a few links in the "Weather Links" thread - hope those help/are of some use to some folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back