• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc All Things Religious

Yes, the bottom line is that if life carries with it eternal import, then there has to be a universal standard that defines good and bad. It can't be a floating scale based on the mood of the day, the whim of a particular individual, or the period of time in which one lives. If God is responsible for all creation, then he owns the definition.

If you don't believe in God and instead believe that everything came to be out of nothing (which takes far greater faith, when you consider the complexities all around us), then there is no absolute right or wrong. And therefore, you really shouldn't (and don't have a right to) advocate for anything.

Yes, the bottom line is that if life carries with it eternal import, then there has to be a universal standard that defines good and bad. It can't be a floating scale based on the mood of the day, the whim of a particular individual, or the period of time in which one lives. If God is responsible for all creation, then he owns the definition.

If you don't believe in God and instead believe that everything came to be out of nothing (which takes far greater faith, when you consider the complexities all around us), then there is no absolute right or wrong. And therefore, you really shouldn't (and don't have a right to) advocate for anything.

Exactly!

Let’s look a scenario; you are driving down the road and as we all have done, you get distracted by a sight for a split second or you look down at your radio or maybe you hear your phone ding from a text which you quickly read. You then look back up and realize you are in the other lane but thankfully no one is there. Is that why you are a “good” person because at that moment no car or person was there? If someone was there and you kill them; are you then suddenly a “horrible” person? Is the standard between good and horrible an act of God no one was there, or chance, or luck, or karma?

Does just because I’ve never received a ticket make me a “good” driver or just because they haven’t caught me yet or because I haven’t lost control and hit a tree or hydroplaned make me a “good” driver.

Last edited:
Good? Horrible? What is that? Is good the Muslim who lives under his strict law? Is evil the American who lives in complete excess? Is a good person someone who lives under the threat of “good” western laws? Or is horrible that same American who has everything he could ever dream, yet lies on his resume to get that promotion over some else or cuts off that car on the way to work almost killing someone over a minute or two? What is that “good” life?

God doesn’t send someone to hell, he allows us to go to the dump where we belong.
This ^^^ His mercy offers salvation from what we deserve. And He offers it to anyone who truly believes, no timelines imposed

But this is literally how its been.....Christianity has evolved and the religion today is much different than it was a few hundred much less several thousand years ago. Things that today are frowned upon was normal and accepted hundreds of years ago., marrying children, killing infidels, burning witches etc....

The second paragraph is the ultimate gatekeeping.....

But this is literally how its been.....Christianity has evolved and the religion today is much different than it was a few hundred much less several thousand years ago. Things that today are frowned upon was normal and accepted hundreds of years ago., marrying children, killing infidels, burning witches etc....

The second paragraph is the ultimate gatekeeping.....
This simply isn't true. What we believe as Christians is based entirely on God's word, which has never changed

This simply isn't true. What we believe as Christians is based entirely on God's word, which has never changed
Can you please point to a passage of new testiment scripture that says we should burn witches?

Where in the New Testament does it say to burn witches?
I didn't say that you did. But plenty of killing to go around. And slavery and ethnic cleansing and plundering. Nobody disowned it and it's God's word so we have to take it as gospel

I didn't say that you did. But plenty of killing to go around. And slavery and ethnic cleansing and plundering. Nobody disowned it and it's God's word so we have to take it as gospel
Ok then. I'll wait for Downeast to get back.

I know you guys love Scripture and of course I know you don't feel this way but this isn't love.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10 English Standard Version (ESV)

6“If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or the wife you embrace or your friend who is as your own soul entices you secretly, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which neither you nor your fathers have known,7 some of the gods of the peoples who are around you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, 8 you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him. 9 But you shall kill him. Your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. 10 You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery."

Ok then. I'll wait for Downeast to get back.
Not sure if this is witchery but don't want to spend hours arguing about what a witch is

Exodus 22:18 ESV / 104 helpful votes​

“You shall not permit a sorceress to live.

Leviticus 20:27 ESV / 57 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful​

“A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned

Not sure if this is witchery but don't want to spend hours arguing about what a witch is

Exodus 22:18 ESV / 104 helpful votes​

“You shall not permit a sorceress to live.

Leviticus 20:27 ESV / 57 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful​

“A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned
Yes, that would be old testament. Can you please find a new testament scripture that supports this? Of not, then let Downeast take a turn.

The old testament is 2/3 of the Bible. Why is it not important to you?
Because I'm not interested in going back through everything that's been covered 10,000 times already. Find me a new testament passage about witch burning or let Downeast take a turn.

Because I'm not interested in going back through everything that's been covered 10,000 times already. Find me a new testament passage about witch burning or let Downeast take a turn.
Downeast never mentioned new or old testament he just said burning witches was once accepted. I just showed you where in the Bible that occurs so no need to get snippy

I did find where you certainly won't inherit the kingdom in the NT. Apparently you can't be jealous, a drunk or really horny either

Idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:20-21)

I did find where you certainly won't inherit the kingdom in the NT. Apparently you can't be jealous, a drunk or really horny either

Idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:20-21)

You can be all those things as long as before you die you promise god you are sorry for it and you really really mean it....

Back