• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Bickering about population growth

Nimbyism is failing our cities. If we built more apartments in city cores we could absorb the growth but instead people have no choice but to sprawl. Just look at the downtowns of southern cities like Raleigh or Atlanta. It's ridiculous how there's single-family homes 2 blocks away from 20-story highrises.

Nimbyism is failing our cities. If we built more apartments in city cores we could absorb the growth but instead people have no choice but to sprawl. Just look at the downtowns of southern cities like Raleigh or Atlanta. It's ridiculous how there's single-family homes 2 blocks away from 20-story highrises.
Leave it to the federal government to fund our senators pet projects ( Toyota ) by funding a brand new interstate in the middle of nowhere but when Raleigh asks for a cheaper light rail line they get denied… whatever . Our cities will suck in the future when the growth slows, they have no backbone or density in them to survive

Leave it to the federal government to fund our senators pet projects ( Toyota ) by funding a brand new interstate in the middle of nowhere but when Raleigh asks for a cheaper light rail line they get denied… whatever . Our cities will suck in the future when the growth slows, they have no backbone or density in them to survive
15 minute cities. Everything you’ll ever need will be close by! Just give in and accept it. We did this for you. Your vehicle should never travel beyond these boundaries and if it does you are killing the planet and you will be punished. Everything you need is right here. Just give in. Thanks for staying.

If raleigh had light rail would you use it

I wouldn’t. I would drive around in my Dodge Cummins and roll smoke at every red light while the city dorks ride the short bus 🚃
Exactly let me drive to the train station, pay to ride it, get stuck where I'm at until it comes back, then ride to my car, then drive home.

When I worked uptown I used to take the light rail. It was way better to sit on a train for 30 minutes than sit in traffic on 77 for 30 minutes. Cheaper than parking too.
I can see value in it for folks. I would have been all over it when I lived in raleigh or knightdale but now it would be a tough sell unless I'm going day drinking downtown

If raleigh had light rail would you use it
Hell yeah I would , I was tired of commuting from Zebulon I looked at the bus system but that doesn’t run frequent enough or to a spot beneficial to me

Exactly let me drive to the train station, pay to ride it, get stuck where I'm at until it comes back, then ride to my car, then drive home.
That’s when stations are poorly designed, in ideal city design your stations and stops are located close enough that you never have to drive to em. Though in the US most light rail is not like that

It’s out of hand. The thing I hate most is when someone says “if your town isn’t growing it’s dying!” What they don’t realize is we’ve had enough growth in the last 4 years to sustain us another 20. It’s out of control.
That is certainly true for much of Greenville County, especially now along the Golden Strip. It is also true for any area within 5 miles either side of I-85 from the GA line to the NC line and trending that way along 385 in Laurens County and along I-26. Abbeville and Union are going the other way though for now, with Union losing plenty of people over the last few years. This is outside of our area a little bit, but York County is growing like crazy too, especially from I-77 east and near Lake Wylie.

Back