• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Bickering about population growth

That’s when stations are poorly designed, in ideal city design your stations and stops are located close enough that you never have to drive to em. Though in the US most light rail is not like that
I think a lot of our transportation system could be solved if we stop building mcmansions for all and keep dense urban dense with more investment into rail and bus, then put some moderate rail from dense areas out to less dense cities with bus stations closer to a lower center, then just drive from the station to home. Could also skip the bus part, make stations further out, and cut a useless highway lane out if it's more than 2. I guarantee you if we cut a road lane out for a train it'd reduce traffic on highways since you're taking a lot of cars off the road during rush hour.

As for housing there has to be more affordable options for people that doesn't require someone with a necessary but low-paying job to live an hour from work with no other option but car.

I think a lot of our transportation system could be solved if we stop building mcmansions for all and keep dense urban dense with more investment into rail and bus, then put some moderate rail from dense areas out to less dense cities with bus stations closer to a lower center, then just drive from the station to home. Could also skip the bus part, make stations further out, and cut a useless highway lane out if it's more than 2. I guarantee you if we cut a road lane out for a train it'd reduce traffic on highways since you're taking a lot of cars off the road during rush hour.

As for housing there has to be more affordable options for people that doesn't require someone with a necessary but low-paying job to live an hour from work with no other option but car.
Have to create the zoning laws conducive for this to happen… NIMBYism will kill it . It’s why you don’t get as much fuss when they build a suburban neighborhood but when an old suburban neighborhood is about to get densified everyone gets up in arms

I see that there's an excessive amount of reference to I-85 in GA/SC on this thread, I can tell you that the region is swiftly evolving to become one long metropolis that extends from Atlanta to Charlotte. I know at least two people personally who have fled Gwinnett County to Jackson County due to overcrowding, the decline in the Gwinnett school system, rising crime, etc. From what I have gathered, the natives of Jackson County are none too thrilled and are fighting growth excessively, but that's a losing battle and the county will lose as it's rural charm eventually just as Gwinnett did back in the 70's. The entire NE GA corridor section of I-85 is so vastly different than it was even twenty years ago.

I see that there's an excessive amount of reference to I-85 in GA/SC on this thread, I can tell you that the region is swiftly evolving to become one long metropolis that extends from Atlanta to Charlotte. I know at least two people personally who have fled Gwinnett County to Jackson County due to overcrowding, the decline in the Gwinnett school system, rising crime, etc. From what I have gathered, the natives of Jackson County are none too thrilled and are fighting growth excessively, but that's a losing battle and the county will lose as it's rural charm eventually just as Gwinnett did back in the 70's. The entire NE GA corridor section of I-85 is so vastly different than it was even twenty years ago.
The decline of Gwinnett County is one of the largest reasons my mom and I left for Maine. The population growth from when we moved there in 1986 until 2022 is absolutely insane. I saw Gwinnett go from a countryside with a few large towns to a traffic ridden, over populated, crime infested area with little or no remorse from the elected officials that allowed the growth to happen without looking at the consequences. I have friends who still teach in Gwinnett, but that is dwindling to like maybe 4 or 5 due to the horrors against teachers. My brother refused to move to Gwinnett and settled in Braselton but now wants to move further northeast along the I-85 section that has been mentioned headed to SC. If I was still in the south, I'd be headed that way or to the NE GA mountains!

Everything is a cycle. Northern Gwinnett has actually changed again. Its dominated by Asian, particularly Korean. I would say that it is actually improving again, not that I would ever live there, I don't like the location. Cobb County has been pretty stable for decades.

Metro Atlanta should pass Philly once the 2023 estimates are released.

1708179713951.png

The only place in the Triangle handling growth the right way is Chapel Hill. No new sprawl, building lots of apartments, and free public transit that runs frequently enough that it’s actually useful. We could’ve had light rail here too if it weren’t for Duke shutting it down… :rolleyes:

The only place in the Triangle handling growth the right way is Chapel Hill. No new sprawl, building lots of apartments, and free public transit that runs frequently enough that it’s actually useful. We could’ve had light rail here too if it weren’t for Duke shutting it down… :rolleyes:
one of the things they’ve done that’s really cool is the rural buffer zone. I have friends who have a family home that’s been there for a really long time.

the-office-john-krasinski.gif

one of the things they’ve done that’s really cool is the rural buffer zone. I have friends who have a family home that’s been there for a really long time.
Yeah thats one of my favorite parts about driving into Chapel Hill for games. Mt. Carmel Church Rd past governor's club has been untouched for as long as I can remember. Farms and forest on both sides and a nice curvy 2-lane road 5 min away from campus.

This is also happening on HWY 280 from Birmingham to Auburn. Shelby county is expanding into Talladega and like wise from Lee into Tallapoosa. It’s only a matter of time before the small community where I work on the Shelby/Talladega county line really grows and it’s probably the high interest rates that is holding it back.

I love my town… got to talking to a 73 year old man who was riding horses he was tellin me about how all the quail are gone so you can’t hunt em… random guy struck a conversation now a new friend … can’t do that in lake Shittty Norman or Curry NC

This is also happening on HWY 280 from Birmingham to Auburn. Shelby county is expanding into Talladega and like wise from Lee into Tallapoosa. It’s only a matter of time before the small community where I work on the Shelby/Talladega county line really grows and it’s probably the high interest rates that is holding it back.
Alabama has even greater disregard than NC to nature … if y’all’s state ever takes off like here I feel bad. Huntsville is a small city that has practically ate all of north Alabama and is into Tennessee on maps now now imagine if it was growing like Raleigh. Geez. Sprawl city

I love my town… got to talking to a 73 year old man who was riding horses he was tellin me about how all the quail are gone so you can’t hunt em… random guy struck a conversation now a new friend … can’t do that in lake Shittty Norman or Curry NC
Come up here and hunt ring neck pheasants
They are so common, they call them ditch chickens

While I agree it’s nice to have the nature, I do fear it puts upward pressure on rents and home prices by limiting supply. But Chapel Hill does seem to be putting up plenty of high capacity zoning in town to alleviate that. And the rest of the Triangle is so sprawly (especially Cary!) that it is a nice change of pace, LOL.

While I agree it’s nice to have the nature, I do fear it puts upward pressure on rents and home prices by limiting supply. But Chapel Hill does seem to be putting up plenty of high capacity zoning in town to alleviate that. And the rest of the Triangle is so sprawly (especially Cary!) that it is a nice change of pace, LOL.
Cary is disgusting, everyone from Cary is evil and sucks and is the problem with society. Come at me Cary peeps! Rest of NC wants yall to vanish

Cary is disgusting, everyone from Cary is evil and sucks and is the problem with society. Come at me Cary peeps! Rest of NC wants yall to vanish
How’s Chealybates springs? Don’t hold back!

Back