• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMW. It's a midwinter warming advertised on models. Big one if pans out, but no guarantee it effects us.
You have me stumped on that one (MMW) - but haven't we more or less been in a mid-winter warming since November by and large LOL (the 1st week or so of Jan notwithstanding)?

I think the other word for it is strat warming. I can't really explain it except as a "cold dumping onto North America" event.

I think the other word for it is strat warming. I can't really explain it except as a "cold dumping onto North America" event.
That's what I asked - SSW - if so, the time lag is generally 14 -21 days (depending on many variables)

That's what I asked - SSW - if so, the time lag is generally 14 -21 days (depending on many variables)
In that case, someone fire up the Marvelous March thread! March 1960 redux incoming !! Delayed but not denied! Backloaded winter coming!

Nah they're not the same thing, minor SSWEs happen more frequently and involve significant slowing of the polar night jet while major SSWEs are less frequent and more intense and occur when the momentum imparted by upwelling tropospheric Rossby waves is enough to cause the polar night jet to reverse directions. Major events usually lead to more intense and prolonged high latitude blocking episodes and are more likely to result in colder wx in the US, although they don't guarantee it

Time to start looking at the NAM for that clipper bomb !

The storm around the Feb 5-6th period still looks interesting. However, it looks too strong on the 6Z and would become a severe weather event. If it trends southward more, it could get more interesting.

The storm around the Feb 5-6th period still looks interesting. However, it looks too strong on the 6Z and would become a severe weather event. If it trends southward more, it could get more interesting.
Yeah, definitely a improvement from 00z's Lakes cutter to 06z's app cutter. This is going to have to trend way south for me to be interested at my location because of my latitude and the tendency for models to trend north several hundred miles in the short to medium range..

Last edited:
It's the placement of the low on 06z that is the problem, not the strength.. in fact, the strength actually helps areas that do get the snow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back