• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

I started doing that a few years ago and it does work wonders. I'm lucky that my garden gets flooded about once a year so it has tons of nutrients and the floods also push horse manure from the pasture next door. That said, I plowed last night and will till and add clover to most of it on Saturday.

Just ordered some Durana white clover. Supposedly it is very hardy and will be great for the bees. It if grows well I may plant a lot more in the spring.

Crimson clover is starting to come in nicely.

0qbr647.png

Sc2h3Eo.png

PSdz4Vp.jpg

Crimson clover is starting to come in nicely.

0qbr647.png

Sc2h3Eo.png

PSdz4Vp.jpg
I planted greens the other day. Lettuce, Arugula, collards , broccoli , radish, and beets! They are all coming up now . If I didn’t plan on growing on em I’d have tried crimson clover! I was talking to a farmer in Knightdale and that’s what they do with their 90 acre property

Last edited:
Widened my big plot another 15', it's now sitting at 100x50. Using periodic turn plowing and tilling (every 2-3 weeks, and only a few days after a rain) to help kill off bermuda stolons and rhizomes. It's hot and very dry right now. Soil is baking.

Plan to eventually put red clover for over wintering.

Happy to report back that I've had zero regrowth of the bermuda grass in either of the garden plots I started working a couple months ago. I have equipment most don't have easy access to.

Would def not recommend just light tilling of the top 3-5 inches of ground as you will def have regrowth. I know because I set aside a small test area where I only let the tiller get 6" deep, and there is visible regrowth 2 months later.

Whereever I ran the turn plow first (at a depth of around 12-14") there's zero regrowth. I had drought like conditions IMBY in both test plot and full garden beds. In fact I've been watering the big garden beds regularly. Not even seed regrowth there.

I should also point out that the soil I am working with is mostly compacted red clay, which almost nothing grows in very well (other than bermuda it seems). I am working to build this soil by incorporating a lot of green biomass (crimson clover).

Question, I happened to spot this renegade tree at about 3000' in the Cohutta Mountains in northwest Georgia. It was in a protected ravine surrounded by rhododendrons. I'm thinking its a Fraser Fir, but I couldn't get close enough to really get a better look. Any thoughts?

View attachment 120151

There's about 50 acres of both red spruce and fraser fir on bald mountain (at the summit and going up the tearbritches trail). They seem to be thriving. Northwest facing.

Did you see this lone one down close to a creek?

There's about 50 acres of both red spruce and fraser fir on bald mountain (at the summit and going up the tearbritches trail). They seem to be thriving. Northwest facing.

Did you see this lone one down close to a creek?
Yes! I had to get closer to it to get a better look, I swore it was a red spruce. That’s awesome, I’m glad they are doing well. Thanks for the confirmation!

Yes! I had to get closer to it to get a better look, I swore it was a red spruce. That’s awesome, I’m glad they are doing well. Thanks for the confirmation!
Another thing to keep in mind, there is an understudied orographic effect that looms over the Grassy/Bald/Potato Patch mountain complex that also skews the weather data. During the winter / spring, there's likely 100+ days where it's drenched in fog. This likely helps support the spruce / firs in such area.

That's cool that you saw it further down the trail near the creek. I only surveyed the summit patches and a few near the trailhead. Some seeds must have been carried by the wind. Was it the conasauga river or tearbritches creek? On trail or did you bushwack some?

Additionally, this is confirmation that they are self-reproducing and naturalizing. Saw many of different ages up there.

While this is back at the forefront: variegated lemon tree is blooming! And a new Pothos houseplant called :N joyBC76638A-543E-467A-B6E7-3853A9D8AA25.jpegCA78E827-CDBA-4EE6-A4A8-C8DE06471FDD.jpegF9640CF5-EDC1-4A2F-A4C4-BF59EF537984.jpeg

Back