• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

Are there ANY vegetables that deer don't eat?
I’ve never had them touch my okra or eggplant but they’ve hit everything else. I mostly struggle with raccoons. They cleaned out my corn and okra last year even with an electric fence. This year I’m going to leave a feeder out for them as a sacrifice.

I read that deer won't mess with peppers or tomatoes, but looks like Shawn has seen them tear into hot peppers. I plan on fencing in the part of my garden with the romas and such.

Gonna wing it with okra and corn. It's a big 100 x 50ft plot so maybe there's enough there to survive nibbling

Have my pepper starts going. 42 varieties this year. Most for the market.
Peas and carrots seeding this weekend.
Bunching onions started.

Tomatoes just sprouting.

Cant wait to get it out to the gardens!

I read that deer won't mess with peppers or tomatoes, but looks like Shawn has seen them tear into hot peppers. I plan on fencing in the part of my garden with the romas and such.

Gonna wing it with okra and corn. It's a big 100 x 50ft plot so maybe there's enough there to survive nibbling

I don’t know about deer, but Goats will absolutely eat up Jalapeño plants. I would bet deer are even more hardy so that makes sense.

That all said, my goats when they would get out would just nibble tomatoes.

I am going to try and focus and grow some things this year. I feel so guilty for not being more into it and eating better and utilizing my space. We should all be being as independent and prepared as possible right now.
I ordered some Paris Island lettuce, spinach, beans, collards, tomatoes and honey dew (the picture looked so good. Ha).
Shouldn't I be able to go ahead and sew the lettuce, spinach and collard seeds now and not worry about starting inside or frost. Says earlier spring on label. Is it early spring? LMAO

I am going to try and focus and grow some things this year. I feel so guilty for not being more into it and eating better and utilizing my space. We should all be being as independent and prepared as possible right now.
I ordered some Paris Island lettuce, spinach, beans, collards, tomatoes and honey dew (the picture looked so good. Ha).
Shouldn't I be able to go ahead and sew the lettuce, spinach and collard seeds now and not worry about starting inside or frost. Says earlier spring on label. Is it early spring? LMAO
You should be good to plant those now but might be best to start them indoors. I overwinter collards and they are good down to the teens. Even when it got below zero they sprang back a month later like nothing happened.

I’ve never had them touch my okra or eggplant but they’ve hit everything else. I mostly struggle with raccoons. They cleaned out my corn and okra last year even with an electric fence. This year I’m going to leave a feeder out for them as a sacrifice.
Won’t be long before the armadillos start tearing everything up

They already make my yard look like a minefield. For some reason they don’t touch my garden plot though.
It's odd to me they are behaving the way they do. Growing up in Valdosta they were part of the landscape and I never recall people having problems with them tearing stuff up. You would think nobody could have nice yards if they were as destructed down there as up here. Somebody told my hubby to be mindful of them because they carry some sort of disease that nothing else carries. Can't remember what he said. Will have to look it up. Don't remember any of that talk either in Valdosta. Strange. Nothing works like it use too. Ha!

It's odd to me they are behaving the way they do. Growing up in Valdosta they were part of the landscape and I never recall people having problems with them tearing stuff up. You would think nobody could have nice yards if they were as destructed down there as up here. Somebody told my hubby to be mindful of them because they carry some sort of disease that nothing else carries. Can't remember what he said. Will have to look it up. Don't remember any of that talk either in Valdosta. Strange. Nothing works like it use too. Ha!
They carry leprosy in their nose but you really have to go to a lot of trouble to get it. My biggest surprise with them is that they aren't scared of anything. They'll come running up to me or the dog like nothing is wrong.

They carry leprosy in their nose but you really have to go to a lot of trouble to get it. My biggest surprise with them is that they aren't scared of anything. They'll come running up to me or the dog like nothing is wrong.
Yeah that's it. Now that I'm thinking about them, haven't noticed any lately. Dead in the road or anything. One time when I was a teenager hanging out in the woods with lot's of rednecks, somebody put one in the car with me. Weird creatures. Slow.

Years ago I had an opossum get in the chicken pen and kill a chicken and before I could grab my shotgun it got away. I hunted the surrounding woods for it only to hear something crawling to me in the dark. I leveled my gun expecting to get revenge on the possum when a stupid armadillo runs up right to me. The stupid thing wasn’t worth the wasting the shotgun shell.

Back