• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern November Knock-Out

I agree with Charlie that the Euro weeklies look downright delicious for much of the 2nd half of Dec fwiw. They look far better than the prior run (Monday run). Keep in mind that the Euro has a pretty potent warm bias. I'm pumped for possibilities. At the very least it is not at all a warm pattern from midmonth on. At best, much of the SE is cold and also gets a storm or two to track in the last half of Dec. Potentially exciting times coming to a SE town near you starting in ~3 weeks.
;)

This winter will eventually be nicknamed "the revenge of the analogs." Analogs are not dead to me. Watch out, Mack!
I've been burned by Euro weeklies, about as many times as I have been by Euro snow maps! :(
I'm ready for a 09/10 repeat tho! Have seen that tossed around by JB, I believe!?

As much as I would love an 09/10 repeat(20 inches of snow here), yeah, not even the same league...
Thats just crazy that Dallas had 20" in one winter. You never EVER see Atlanta get that much snow, despite the fact that Atlanta gets on average about the same as Dallas.

I've been burned by Euro weeklies, about as many times as I have been by Euro snow maps! :(
I'm ready for a 09/10 repeat tho! Have seen that tossed around by JB, I believe!?
09/10 was a great winter, but I think the analog JB been throwing around is winter of 10/11 (la niña year, strong one at that). That winter most of snow and cold was early, and it was another great winter...KATL suburbs had snow fall Christmas evening that year and bigger Jan snowstorm.

59c8af42e15a99ae112148566901071e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

EPS starts to look amazing and similar to yesterday's Euro weeklies near the end of the run... Blocking high persists and intensifies over Greenland and a ridge begins to build over the Canadian Rockies and Alaska... As Larry mentioned given its warm bias esp after week 2, if this pattern depicted here were to persist, oh man...
eps_z500a_noram_60.png

EPS starts to look amazing and similar to yesterday's Euro weeklies near the end of the run... Blocking high persists and intensifies over Greenland and a ridge begins to build over the Canadian Rockies and Alaska... As Larry mentioned given its warm bias esp after week 2, if this pattern depicted here were to persist, oh man...
View attachment 1557
Give me a western ridge and -nao any time between 12/1 and 3/15 And I will go all in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

View attachment 1557

Belt busting for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give me a western ridge and -nao any time between 12/1 and 3/15 And I will go all in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Unless MJO is in phase 3 and 4, then toss all blocking and cold pattern.

Sheash desperation is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I don't know how many will survive another winter like the last two.

On this date in 1938, a pair of early season winter storms hit North Carolina, with the 2nd one, which came in the form of a trailing/overrunning coastal trough, dropping 4-6" of snow in Franklin and Warren counties...
November 24-25 1938 NC Snowmap.png
November 26-27 1938 NC Snowmap.png

ECMWF 20th Century Reanalysis MSLP (contour), 1000-500 hPa thickness (shading), and surface analysis for 15z November 26 1938.
15z November 26 1938 MSLP & Thickness.jpg

ECMWF 20th Century Reanalysis 500 hPa vorticity (shaded) & 500 hPa geopotential height for 6z November 27 1938. Note the deep trough & attendant cyclonic vorticity maxima over the lower Great Lakes and Ohio Valley...
6z November 27 1938 500 hPa vorticity & gph.jpg

Browsing this forum's Dec of 2016 posts, there was similar optimism with similar ENSO, which one might think is a cause for concern that we're being too optimistic. However, the AO/NAO were horrible (AO was very strongly positive 12/10-31) and the QBO was strongly positive. We have about the opposite QBO. Further to the above, I just looked at the updated GEFS based AO 2 week forecast. It is trending back to more solidly negative:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

Back