• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Threat April 5th-7th

It'll be interesting to see how quickly the warm front can charge northward with this one. A deepening cyclone to the northwest of the region should pull the front northward fairly quickly but convection and rain along and north of the warm front may hold it farther south than models suggest. Overall though this one looks like it could be fairly significant with near 70 degree dewpoints charging northward and plenty of dynamics and shear.

Fwiw, the WPC is preferring a NAM/Euro blend with this system, discounting the GFS due to its fast bias

^ not necessarily. The NAM, particularly at this range, is known to poorly handle how waves eject. A faster solution is less plausible given the orientation of the trough on the past couple GFS runs. That being said the fact that the NAM and GFS are in the same camp lends credence to believe that their solution can't be discounted.

All good! Days and dates usually don't get etched into your memory unless you "were there". This map is a composite of all the warnings issued that day. I work/live about where the aqua asterisk is. It was an incredible day - most of the power in North AL was out for at least 5 days. I must admit, after a day and a half with no power, we loaded up the cats and headed to Orange Beach.

Man, April 27th.. I will never ever forget that. I was awakened at about 2:00 in the morning by my grandfather calling to tell me that a tornado was headed right for me. I got my family up and we went into the crawl space, I was watching the radar on my phone while we were down there. Things seemed to clear about 30 minutes after we got in the crawl space and we went back inside. Then it started to get VERY intense, I looked at the radar and a hook echo had formed and was sitting right on top of us. To this day that was the most intense storm I have been in and it actually is the reason I now have a phobia of strong storms. The tornado passed about 1.5 to 2 miles south of us, it was borderline EF2/3 when it did, it was a 3 for sure to our west and weakened to a 2 somewhere around us, I'm not sure what it was officially when it crossed our street. The next morning I went to work and passed the area of I-75 where it crossed and I have never seen destruction like that. Every tree for a path about .4 miles wide was gone, the interstate was completely covered in trees and tree pieces. It was horrible. There was also a little girl down the road from me who lost her life by being pulled out of the bed in the middle of the night. Since then I have been very conscious of the weather, I honestly didn't even know it was supposed to rain that night.

It wasn't really a comparison - apologies if it seemed that way. Please remove my posts or put them in Banter where they belong.

It wasn't really a comparison - apologies if it seemed that way. Please remove my posts or put them in Banter where they belong.

No I wasn't specifically talking about you. I've seen idiots on twitter and other places bringing up the comparison which is foolish at the point. Sorry I was just venting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I wasn't specifically talking about you. I've seen idiots on twitter and other places bringing up the comparison which is foolish at the point. Sorry I was just venting

;)

really banter but it belongs right here --- what a truly crystal clear snapshot of why this place is so great ... :D

as opposed to

photo-512.jpg

for those who get the drift ....

Last edited:
There is no reason to compare this to April 27 th at this point. The fact that this threat falls on a Wednesday means nothing

I wasn't trying to make that comparison. I was just relaying my experience that day.

Back