• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2024-25 Discussion

11-12 70-71 99-00 72-73 good 12-13 75-76 98-99 not good 16-17 82-83 ok

It'll be fun to start narrowing these down through the year
This is my opinion. If the niña is central based (esp stronger one) or cooler water in central pacific, probably game over for most. If niña is east based, regardless of strength, or around Peru, we have decent chances at cold shots. I'm curious how the sst distribution was for 20-21, 21-22, and 22-23? Anyone know or have a map to post?

If this year tells you anything, it says no matter the state of el nino or la nina, no one knows what is going to happen. Sure, it is fun to speculate, etc, but I guarantee there will be several warm periods and several cold periods. If moisture is around during a cold period, it could mean winter weather. That's all we know at this point and probably won't know any better in Nov of 2024.

If this year tells you anything, it says no matter the state of el nino or la nina, no one knows what is going to happen. Sure, it is fun to speculate, etc, but I guarantee there will be several warm periods and several cold periods. If moisture is around during a cold period, it could mean winter weather. That's all we know at this point and probably won't know any better in Nov of 2024.
I agree with not being able to tell how much snow. One cold week can make a winter if there is moisture. However I will bet the farm it's going to be another above average winter temp wise. Looking at the current base state of the globe there are no signs anything is changing. We haven't had a below average winter as a whole in 10 years next year. So it's reasonable to expect the same.

I agree with not being able to tell how much snow. One cold week can make a winter if there is moisture. However I will bet the farm it's going to be another above average winter temp wise. Looking at the current base state of the globe there are no signs anything is changing. We haven't had a below average winter as a whole in 10 years next year. So it's reasonable to expect the same.
Definitely gotta bet the streak on that. Like you said though, it only takes a week or two. 2021-22 still ended up above average temp wise but the last three weekends in January all gave me at least 1” of snow.

We seem to have the worst winters when we are above 1degree c in el nino, or below one degree c in la nina in Alabama. This year was +2 for NDJ. I saw somewhere , can't find it now, but there was a forecast of -9 c avg for NDJ. If that materializes, that is barely in the range that produces our best cold and snow around Birmingham.

Something to keep in mind before putting all the chips in assuming the enso state rules all.

Back