Misc All Things Religious

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Honestly you remind me of a combat vet I worked with fifteen years ago. He stated he was ex-Navy seal and from being around him I didn’t doubt it. He went from trying to drown his past in booze, then to escape that hell and the demons he said we there moved into a
charity/volunteer/Christian/Christian conspiracy mindset. While I definitely disagreed with his theology I could tell he was searching. He then moved into online overseas dating and the last I heard about him was from a comment on a YouTube video of the place where we worked. Obviously he was now immersed in what appeared to be a mix of Hinduism and eastern mysticism living in some Asian country.

None of us here can know what you went through or the guilt you carry. So we can just pray for your healing both physically and mentally.
I appreciate it and it is tough but I luckily got the help I needed and that guilt was lifted from my shoulders. Guys deal with it in their own way and some never deal with it but your co-worker's story is very similar to mine and many others. Do you know the guys name and what team he was in? 15 years ago is right in my window so I may know him. If you are uncomfortable giving his name you can PM me. Mine is not a conspiracy mindset just a few tweaks here and there. The problem I had when I walked the path of organized religion was the need to put everything in a box with a label on it. I wanted to be able to walk my own path and as lonely as it may sound it's actually very peaceful and that's what a lot of Vets are looking for. Psychedelic therapy is saving a lot of lives and becoming very popular in the SO community

Reactions: Bham 99
I appreciate it and it is tough but I luckily got the help I needed and that guilt was lifted from my shoulders. Guys deal with it in their own way and some never deal with it but your co-worker's story is very similar to mine and many others. Do you know the guys name and what team he was in? 15 years ago is right in my window so I may know him. If you are uncomfortable giving his name you can PM me. Mine is not a conspiracy mindset just a few tweaks here and there. The problem I had when I walked the path of organized religion was the need to put everything in a box with a label on it. I wanted to be able to walk my own path and as lonely as it may sound it's actually very peaceful and that's what a lot of Vets are looking for. Psychedelic therapy is saving a lot of lives and becoming very popular in the SO community

I don’t remember his last name but his first name was Tony and he said he was a part of Team Six. Now I don’t know if that part was true, but I could tell the things he told me were some what true about the things he had done by the way he told me. It was clear to me as well he had seen and done things that no one should have had to do.

I don’t remember his last name but his first name was Tony and he said he was a part of Team Six. Now I don’t know if that part was true, but I could tell the things he told me were some what true about the things he had done by the way he told me. It was clear to me as well he had seen and done things that no one should have had to do.
Lol......As bad as I hate to say it he most likely lied to you about that. There is a running joke that for every frog man there are 1,000 that think they were. I don't know you or him so I can't say with 100% certainly but I am 99.9999999% sure he lied. If he was indeed a Seal even in the white teams he would never lie about Team 6. It hasn't been referred to as Team 6 since the late 80's. He may have served but .......

Lol......As bad as I hate to say it he most likely lied to you about that. There is a running joke that for every frog man there are 1,000 that think they were. I don't know you or him so I can't say with 100% certainly but I am 99.9999999% sure he lied. If he was indeed a Seal even in the white teams he would never lie about Team 6. It hasn't been referred to as Team 6 since the late 80's. He may have served but .......

He definitely may have. I know he served from the pictures he showed me. Either way, he definitely had seen some things that messed him up. I could definitely see him convincing himself of it as well.

Reactions: Sandbar
He definitely may have. I know he served from the pictures he showed me. Either way, he definitely had seen some things that messed him up. I could definitely see him convincing himself of it as well.
If he served in a combat role I'm sure he saw some messed up things. It wasn't the killing guys that got to me so much as what I saw done to innocent people by those savages. It gets to the point you walk into the team room to debrief and you rate the day by what body parts were laying in the street. 1 being a foot, 5 being a head.....If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten out when the smart guys did. I'm proud of pulling my 20 but the jury is still out on if it was worth it to stay in. It took over 2 years of off and on surgeries to get my body fixed from all the deployments and nonstop training. It's like being on a bullet train and then one day just jumping off in the middle of nowhere. Our motto is The only easy day was yesterday and they mean it. That's why 75% never make it through hell week!

If he served in a combat role I'm sure he saw some messed up things. It wasn't the killing guys that got to me so much as what I saw done to innocent people by those savages. It gets to the point you walk into the team room to debrief and you rate the day by what body parts were laying in the street. 1 being a foot, 5 being a head.....If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten out when the smart guys did. I'm proud of pulling my 20 but the jury is still out on if it was worth it to stay in. It took over 2 years of off and on surgeries to get my body fixed from all the deployments and nonstop training. It's like being on a bullet train and then one day just jumping off in the middle of nowhere. Our motto is The only easy day was yesterday and they mean it. That's why 75% never make it through hell week!

We know Vietnam vet who talks very little about what he saw, he still goes into depression for weeks at a time about it.

Reactions: Bham 99 and Sandbar
How do you "know" all of this? Because the bible is 200% spot on and can't be wrong or off in any way, shape or form because it was "divinely" inspired despite being written by fallable men? What makes any other religious dogma wrong? I mean there are other books out there that were divinely inspired as well. What makes you or anyone else who prescribes to a strict dogma right over anyone else? Like I said before I have engaged many, many, many times in the ultimate sin according to the bible, I killed human beings that according to the bible were "created in gods image". If all I have to do is proclaim someone as my savior and ask for forgiveness for killing another human that sounds pretty lazy and easy to me. I'm not trying to undermine you guys in any way but stealing a pack of gum or lying to your spouse about where you were last night isn't quite the same experience with "sin" as what I have been through. It makes a difference when you speak of these things. What changed me was being told for the 100k time in my life to put my troubles in his hands because God had full control as I squeezed that trigger yet again. It was 100% me then and it's 100% in MY HANDS now.
Yep. Im 100% in the know only because the bible says so. It is the divinely inspired word of God written by men through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost.
Certainly not because Im a rocket scientist or more knowledgeable than you. Kind of hard to imagine God would create us and not tell us why, his reason, purpose etc. Thats me.
The bible states Gods ways are not our ways and his thoughts are not our thoughts. No way if man had written bible, he would have penned it the way it is.

Yep. Im 100% in the know only because the bible says so. It is the divinely inspired word of God written by men through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost.
Certainly not because Im a rocket scientist or more knowledgeable than you. Kind of hard to imagine God would create us and not tell us why, his reason, purpose etc. Thats me.
The bible states Gods ways are not our ways and his thoughts are not our thoughts. No way if man had written bible, he would have penned it the way it is.
If you have a real and honest connection with the creator when you pray or go to church that's all that matters. When I did my ceremony the shaman ask us to give our intention before taking the medicine and this is a very important step in your journey. All I asked during my intention was to see the path I was supposed to be on so I could heal and I was presented with that path as clear as day.

If you have a real and honest connection with the creator when you pray or go to church that's all that matters. When I did my ceremony the shaman ask us to give our intention before taking the medicine and this is a very important step in your journey. All I asked during my intention was to see the path I was supposed to be on so I could heal and I was presented with that path as clear as day.
I'm curious about something....you clearly dismiss the Bible as the true and final word of God. When I make a claim about something related to this discussion, I base it on Scripture. You come back with a lot of questions, questioning the authority of Scripture. That's fair. And if you don't accept it as God's true and complete word, that's fair too.

But when you state your first sentence above, you state it as unequivocal. That's fair too. My question is, what do you base that proclamation on? How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Reactions: Metwannabe
I'm curious about something....you clearly dismiss the Bible as the true and final word of God. When I make a claim about something related to this discussion, I base it on Scripture. You come back with a lot of questions, questioning the authority of Scripture. That's fair. And if you don't accept it as God's true and complete word, that's fair too.

But when you state your first sentence above, you state it as unequivocal. That's fair too. My question is, what do you base that proclamation on? How did you arrive at that conclusion?
Does it really matter? If you know you are right in your personal beliefs it shouldn't matter how I came to that should it? You may bow your head and pray for 20 seconds but what do you really feel inside when you do? Have you ever been so overwhelmed by that divine connection that you literally balled your eyes out it was so powerful? If you have it's true and that's wonderful. It happened to me when I embraced my personal spiritual journey where I never did before. I accept your beliefs 100% and support you 100% brother but I don't think you guys really understand what I am saying at all. Scripture is great......for you. It's how you rationalize everything that happens to you and that's a human trait. We tend to have to put everything in it's rightful place in a box where it's safe and property labeled. You got a problem you go flip through the bible to rationalize it through scripture but I can assure you through experience it did nothing for me ever. I talked myself into it plenty times but it was an internal lie. This wasn't meant to be a competition but for some reason it feels like it is

Reactions: ghost1
Does it really matter? If you know you are right in your personal beliefs it shouldn't matter how I came to that should it? You may bow your head and pray for 20 seconds but what do you really feel inside when you do? Have you ever been so overwhelmed by that divine connection that you literally balled your eyes out it was so powerful? If you have it's true and that's wonderful. It happened to me when I embraced my personal spiritual journey where I never did before. I accept your beliefs 100% and support you 100% brother but I don't think you guys really understand what I am saying at all. Scripture is great......for you. It's how you rationalize everything that happens to you and that's a human trait. We tend to have to put everything in it's rightful place in a box where it's safe and property labeled. You got a problem you go flip through the bible to rationalize it through scripture but I can assure you through experience it did nothing for me ever. I talked myself into it plenty times but it was an internal lie. This wasn't meant to be a competition but for some reason it feels like it is
I feel like it matters. I feel like if it's based on nothing more than a feeling, then there's a high risk for error and self-deception, since it's entirely subjective. I am not trying to make it a contest. Just talking about it.

I feel like it matters. I feel like if it's based on nothing more than a feeling, then there's a high risk for error and self-deception, since it's entirely subjective. I am not trying to make it a contest. Just talking about it.
My original comment was simply meant to say that it doesn't matter what anybody thinks about your connection to God and how you reach that connection. It shouldn't matter what a Jew believes or a Muslim believes or a Buddhist believes. It shouldn't matter what I believe spiritually or even what the tribe lost in the jungle believes. If it's not a competition then we all win when we are TRUE TO THOSE BELIEFS right? If I am wrong in saying you aren't the only one here who wins then I will gladly accept how you feel and end the conversation on a good note. My purpose is to help someone who may be searching not to devalue. There is no more judgement left in me

Reactions: Rain Cold
There are so much in these last few pages I wish I could comment on. Let me suggest you guys go back and reread our discussion from August of this year, page 68. https://southernwx.com/community/threads/all-things-religious.601/page-68. Many of these same questions about people who have never heard, were born before Jesus, did not have access to the Bible, condemnation, fear, relativism, role of the Bible; are all discussed pretty well there. In some ways, reading the past few pages seemed like the exact same discussion was being held again. See if any of those posts address your questions about those topics or others.

There are so much in these last few pages I wish I could comment on. Let me suggest you guys go back and reread our discussion from August of this year, page 68. https://southernwx.com/community/threads/all-things-religious.601/page-68. Many of these same questions about people who have never heard, were born before Jesus, did not have access to the Bible, condemnation, fear, relativism, role of the Bible; are all discussed pretty well there. In some ways, reading the past few pages seemed like the exact same discussion was being held again. See if any of those posts address your questions about those topics or others.
I wasn't really seeking an answer just another's opinion in trying to make my point. I already have my answers based on my own personal experience and philosophy. I am what you would call a Christian Mystic if in need of a comparison which in my personal opinion is what Jesus was, a "mystic". The only real difference between myself and the more orthodox Christians here is that I don't see the bible as the final word of god I see it as a teaching guide to the life of Jesus the teacher not a book of rules that I had best follow or go to hell. I don't see the wrath of god but the love of him only. To me a loving creator does not manifest a beautiful universe of fear and suffering only to be explained away by the scripture of man who calls it holy inspired. I no longer put things in a box with a nice label on it. If you watched the video I posted above it explains where I am at in my journey (Not 100% but close). Where as as many of you are set in stone in your beliefs and will not waver from it (Because it works for you) I am constantly evolving and learning spiritually without or with as little dogma as possible. I went from the path of following the masses blindly (That is exactly what it was "I" was doing) to seeking a personal, direct connection to the creator. I do have Native American in my lineage and much of my spiritual re-route has been influenced by that for the first time in my life. I am actually trying to make things less complicated not more and it is working for me in ways I never imagined.......My point is pretty simple. My path is not the right path or the only path it's the path that connects me to the source of creation with no roadblocks to traverse along the journey. In my mind there is no right or wrong way or even a better way to have a relationship with the creator

I wasn't really seeking an answer just another's opinion in trying to make my point. I already have my answers based on my own personal experience and philosophy. I am what you would call a Christian Mystic if in need of a comparison which in my personal opinion is what Jesus was, a "mystic". The only real difference between myself and the more orthodox Christians here is that I don't see the bible as the final word of god I see it as a teaching guide to the life of Jesus the teacher not a book of rules that I had best follow or go to hell. I don't see the wrath of god but the love of him only. To me a loving creator does not manifest a beautiful universe of fear and suffering only to be explained away by the scripture of man who calls it holy inspired. I no longer put things in a box with a nice label on it. If you watched the video I posted above it explains where I am at in my journey (Not 100% but close). Where as as many of you are set in stone in your beliefs and will not waver from it (Because it works for you) I am constantly evolving and learning spiritually without or with as little dogma as possible. I went from the path of following the masses blindly (That is exactly what it was "I" was doing) to seeking a personal, direct connection to the creator. I do have Native American in my lineage and much of my spiritual re-route has been influenced by that for the first time in my life. I am actually trying to make things less complicated not more and it is working for me in ways I never imagined.......My point is pretty simple. My path is not the right path or the only path it's the path that connects me to the source of creation with no roadblocks to traverse along the journey. In my mind there is no right or wrong way or even a better way to have a relationship with the creator
Well you've asked a lot of questions so I thought it at least warranted discussion.

Sandbar, not trying to sound condescending, but I really do appreciate your openness and sincerity; I truly enjoy discussing stuff like this if people are able to do so without getting personal or angry.

Regarding the video, I watched it and I really think he misses the boat on a lot of points about Christianity in general and the Bible. For starters, he spends the first couple of minutes telling us why the Bible is not to be taken as the word of God, but then spends the second half of the video using scripture to justify why his views are correct. If the Bible is nothing more than a collection of sayings and suggestions then it has no authoritative value and thus, probably shouldn't be used to justify ones views.

If Jesus was just a man then he did not rise after his death and we should certainly not "pedestalize" him, as the speaker says. But if he was just a man then none of it really matters, we have no reason to trust any of it, and Christianity has no basis. In fact, if he did not rise, he was a liar and a fraud and should not be followed at all. If Jesus was who he claimed, then that changes everything and it is absolutely true.

He talks about guilt being a driving force, much like you talked about fear being a driving force. I truly hope nobody tries to force a faith or relationship with Jesus simply out of guilt or fear. If you were made to feel that way (or some of our other posters) then I am sorry for your experience. Those are real emotions of course, and serve legitimate purposes, but the reason to seek Christ should be for love, relationship and joy; and to be able to experience these forever; NOT because one feels guilty or afraid. Fear or guilt might well cause one to pause and seek, but should not be the reason to have and grow in faith. Relationship with Jesus and God is about victory over guilt and fear, not embracing them. ("For you did not receive the spirit of fear, but you have received the spirit of sonship, by whom we call Abba Father!" Romans 8:14). I know very well that lots of Christians present it that way but they are missing the true and full experience of their relationship, and giving others a poor image of Jesus if they do.

You said that the Bible is "not a book of rules that I had best follow or go to hell." I agree completely, so I am not sure why that would discredit either the Bible or Jesus in your mind. Following the rules in the Bible does not determine heaven or hell for people. That is the whole point of Jesus. Grace saves, not obedience. If obedience saved then no one would ever enter Heaven as no one can fully follow all the rules.

You said, "Where as as many of you are set in stone in your beliefs and will not waver from it (Because it works for you) I am constantly evolving and learning spiritually without or with as little dogma as possible." I think many Christians could say a very similar statement. I consider that my faith, beliefs, and understanding are constantly being challenged, grown, and explored. If you were "following the masses blindly" then I think you were right to get out (not that you're looking for my approval). And I know there are a lot of Christians who do just "blindly follow the masses"; so if that turns people off of "Christians" then I totally get it. But that is why Jesus is the standard (if he is who he said he was) not Christians or the church.

There is so much more that could be said. I am not trying to talk you into anything or change your mind; you are obviously an intelligent guy with a moral compass. I am just trying to reframe some of the points about Jesus or the Bible that seem off base to me.

Well you've asked a lot of questions so I thought it at least warranted discussion.

Sandbar, not trying to sound condescending, but I really do appreciate your openness and sincerity; I truly enjoy discussing stuff like this if people are able to do so without getting personal or angry.

Regarding the video, I watched it and I really think he misses the boat on a lot of points about Christianity in general and the Bible. For starters, he spends the first couple of minutes telling us why the Bible is not to be taken as the word of God, but then spends the second half of the video using scripture to justify why his views are correct. If the Bible is nothing more than a collection of sayings and suggestions then it has no authoritative value and thus, probably shouldn't be used to justify ones views.

If Jesus was just a man then he did not rise after his death and we should certainly not "pedestalize" him, as the speaker says. But if he was just a man then none of it really matters, we have no reason to trust any of it, and Christianity has no basis. In fact, if he did not rise, he was a liar and a fraud and should not be followed at all. If Jesus was who he claimed, then that changes everything and it is absolutely true.

He talks about guilt being a driving force, much like you talked about fear being a driving force. I truly hope nobody tries to force a faith or relationship with Jesus simply out of guilt or fear. If you were made to feel that way (or some of our other posters) then I am sorry for your experience. Those are real emotions of course, and serve legitimate purposes, but the reason to seek Christ should be for love, relationship and joy; and to be able to experience these forever; NOT because one feels guilty or afraid. Fear or guilt might well cause one to pause and seek, but should not be the reason to have and grow in faith. Relationship with Jesus and God is about victory over guilt and fear, not embracing them. ("For you did not receive the spirit of fear, but you have received the spirit of sonship, by whom we call Abba Father!" Romans 8:14). I know very well that lots of Christians present it that way but they are missing the true and full experience of their relationship, and giving others a poor image of Jesus if they do.

You said that the Bible is "not a book of rules that I had best follow or go to hell." I agree completely, so I am not sure why that would discredit either the Bible or Jesus in your mind. Following the rules in the Bible does not determine heaven or hell for people. That is the whole point of Jesus. Grace saves, not obedience. If obedience saved then no one would ever enter Heaven as no one can fully follow all the rules.

You said, "Where as as many of you are set in stone in your beliefs and will not waver from it (Because it works for you) I am constantly evolving and learning spiritually without or with as little dogma as possible." I think many Christians could say a very similar statement. I consider that my faith, beliefs, and understanding are constantly being challenged, grown, and explored. If you were "following the masses blindly" then I think you were right to get out (not that you're looking for my approval). And I know there are a lot of Christians who do just "blindly follow the masses"; so if that turns people off of "Christians" then I totally get it. But that is why Jesus is the standard (if he is who he said he was) not Christians or the church.

There is so much more that could be said. I am not trying to talk you into anything or change your mind; you are obviously an intelligent guy with a moral compass. I am just trying to reframe some of the points about Jesus or the Bible that seem off base to me.
There is nothing to talk me into or change my mind on. I have been a Christian for 42 years and I had spiritual awakening that transformed my life. I've gone over it in detail countless times but I keep getting this sense that My path is not accepted, that it's judged or that I am trying to change minds myself. It's the opposite. We are all right. We all get the reward for believing in a creator. Some have made it crystal clear that there is only one way (their way of course) but I disagree. I put the video up because it covered a lot of the things that I opened my mind to not as an exact example. I take things from Christianity as a Mystic, Buddhism, taoism, pantheism.....My path includes the bible I just no longer see it as the final word as I have come to see the man made influence on a library of books supposedly inspired by the divine. Some see God in everything, I see God AS EVERYTHING which made a HUGE difference in my spiritual journey. I go back to the box and labels. I stopped that process and my mind opened up to a new world

I will say, just adding personal expierence, but yes I have been in prayer, lot longer than 20 secs and literaly balled eyes out alone and with others over a whole host of topics. Its all relationship, not relegion. I can only speak of personal expierence. Again just adding to discussion, not debating .

So what are the denomination affiliations with everyone in this thread? I'm thinking several Baptist varieties Southern and IFB with some AOG and COG sprinkled in...

I'm currently wandering in the church wilderness.. have attended mostly a CoC and non-denom mega church over the last year... haven't found one I'm wanting to settle in to yet. The non-denom mega isn't going to be it for me but my wife kinda likes it and my stepson is fully engaged there. The CoC is one I've attended for years but a couple of people that I am close to were treated badly by a sect within the church and left a bad taste in my mouth after the leadership caved to the sects wishes.

So what are the denomination affiliations with everyone in this thread? I'm thinking several Baptist varieties Southern and IFB with some AOG and COG sprinkled in...

I'm currently wandering in the church wilderness.. have attended mostly a CoC and non-denom mega church over the last year... haven't found one I'm wanting to settle in to yet. The non-denom mega isn't going to be it for me but my wife kinda likes it and my stepson is fully engaged there. The CoC is one I've attended for years but a couple of people that I am close to were treated badly by a sect within the church and left a bad taste in my mouth after the leadership caved to the sects wishes.
Non-denominational evangelical here.