• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc All Things Religious

Yes Jesus is the only way and no it is not ignorant to suggest that.
"Announcing Jesus is the only way is controversial and offensive. It has been for the past two thousand years and has led to the martyrdom of millions"

This is what you typed bro......For the record I agree 100%

"Announcing Jesus is the only way is controversial and offensive. It has been for the past two thousand years and has led to the martyrdom of millions"

I think what he means is that the world finds it offensive, not him. Maybe not, but that's how I read it based on the 2nd sentence referencing the martyrdom of Christians.

Yeah, Roddy has the correct Interpretation here.

My point was the belief that Christ was the only way was offensive to the world. It was when Christ said it, he warned his followers they would hate them for it. The early church was hated for it and it continues to be offensive today. The only real difference is now some of the Church is surprised about it and try to smooth it over with the offended.

In the end it’s funny because if you don’t believe it, it doesn’t matter enough to be offended.

I think what he means is that the world finds it offensive, not him. Maybe not, but that's how I read it based on the 2nd sentence referencing the martyrdom of Christians.
Well I think it was his words just contradicted but ok Ill by that I guess. If it's the world that thinks that way they are 100% on the right path. It's extremely offensive and yes millions have been killed over Religion. The problem here is the church and it always has been. Maybe your local church is different but the powers that be throughout history are the most corrupt people on this planet and always have been. Jesus actually pointed this out multiple times before they nailed him to the cross......

Well I think it was his words just contradicted but ok Ill by that I guess. If it's the world that thinks that way they are 100% on the right path. It's extremely offensive and yes millions have been killed over Religion. The problem here is the church and it always has been. Maybe your local church is different but the powers that be throughout history are the most corrupt people on this planet and always have been. Jesus actually pointed this out multiple times before they nailed him to the cross......
Yes, there is a lot of corruption (false prophets) in religion today. That is why you have to be extremely selective as to what you allow to be poured into you by others. That goes with everything in life though. Most everyone is searching for a higher calling, which is why true atheism is declining, but where and why you search will often times lead you to the path of where you want to be rather than where you should be. As Christians, we don't have the right to judge someone's heart, only their actions....and that is such a fine line. Luckily we have the oldest books in the world, assembled together in the Bible, to guide us.

Yes, there is a lot of corruption (false prophets) in religion today. That is why you have to be extremely selective as to what you allow to be poured into you by others. That goes with everything in life though. Most everyone is searching for a higher calling, which is why true atheism is declining, but where and why you search will often times lead you to the path of where you want to be rather than where you should be. As Christians, we don't have the right to judge someone's heart, only their actions....and that is such a fine line. Luckily we have the oldest books in the world, assembled together in the Bible, to guide us.
My point being the corruption began Day 1. That's when the fear began too. Unfortunately they throw that book at you to do the scaring which is a shame because it's got a lot of great information about Jesus the teacher. Its too bad they dirtied up his true message which is why I seperated from that part of it

My point being the corruption began Day 1. That's when the fear began too. Unfortunately they throw that book at you to do the scaring which is a shame because it's got a lot of great information about Jesus the teacher. Its too bad they dirtied up his true message which is why I seperated from that part of it

I’ve never really understood what made Jesus a great teacher from a secular standpoint other than the golden rule. It always seemed to me to be either a weak way to agree to disagree or a dig at Christians.

Last edited:
I've been in church all my life. My Grandad was a pastor for 30+ years and then Director of Baptist Missions for his residing county for another 20+ as well as a volunteer pastor for a church where the elders spoke a foreign language but the younger generation was raised in America. I have never once been taught to "fear" God. Is there a wrath, absolutely....but I don't follow in fear of that. I follow my faith because of the love and grace he has shown me in every aspect of my life. No matter ones viewpoint, they can spin whatever information they want to make the point they want. You have to follow your heart and your convictions.....if you are doing that, then I think you are going down the right path.

I am a member of a Southern Baptist Church in Hoover AL. Our Pastor has always preached the Gospel of Jesus and the Church is not a building but the people. There is no fear or condemnation in Jesus. But it is all about Jesus, the human manifestation of the Holy God. The true Gospel is all about loving Jesus and loving others. Man (religion) tries to add to and take away from that. Jesus himself even spoke against the most religious (Pharisees) and called them a "brood of vipers", for distorting His teachings and adding all of the "rules" to make a legalistic religion.

Jesus' message was always love, and out of that, the hope of eternal life in Heaven. But one must believe in Jesus and his free gift of redemption through his crucifixion on the cross, and his resurrection to return to the Father God. Christians are not perfect here on earth, far from it. We know we are not and at our very best, we are still unworthy sinners. When we truly confess those sins and repent we are forgiven. If someone says, I can commit any sin because I have already been forgiven, their conversion is suspect at best.

Jesus said, "Faith, Hope, and Love. The greatest of these is Love.... Love covers over a multitude of sins". I don't know why something rooted in Love can be so offensive. Through my Faith in the work of Jesus, I live with the Hope of eternal life in Heaven with our Creator and Sustainer where there will be no more sin, illness, pain, grief, or death. This world will always have those and more. The promise has always been Heaven, not heaven on Earth.

That is what I believe and because of that, I can say I truly love all of you.

I am a member of a Southern Baptist Church in Hoover AL. Our Pastor has always preached the Gospel of Jesus and the Church is not a building but the people. There is no fear or condemnation in Jesus. But it is all about Jesus, the human manifestation of the Holy God. The true Gospel is all about loving Jesus and loving others. Man (religion) tries to add to and take away from that. Jesus himself even spoke against the most religious (Pharisees) and called them a "brood of vipers", for distorting His teachings and adding all of the "rules" to make a legalistic religion.

Jesus' message was always love, and out of that, the hope of eternal life in Heaven. But one must believe in Jesus and his free gift of redemption through his crucifixion on the cross, and his resurrection to return to the Father God. Christians are not perfect here on earth, far from it. We know we are not and at our very best, we are still unworthy sinners. When we truly confess those sins and repent we are forgiven. If someone says, I can commit any sin because I have already been forgiven, their conversion is suspect at best.

Jesus said, "Faith, Hope, and Love. The greatest of these is Love.... Love covers over a multitude of sins". I don't know why something rooted in Love can be so offensive. Through my Faith in the work of Jesus, I live with the Hope of eternal life in Heaven with our Creator and Sustainer where there will be no more sin, illness, pain, grief, or death. This world will always have those and more. The promise has always been Heaven, not heaven on Earth.

That is what I believe and because of that, I can say I truly love all of you.
Yes Jesus message has always been love. The church and the clergy however is a different story. They are the ones who push fear. Your pastor is probably a good ole boy who delivers the message. Those far above him is where the true evil lies......

As far as sin goes this is where we divide. I killed close to 80 children of god give or take a bakers dozen during my 20+ years service. That's the ultimate sin x 80+ and that's not including the daily sins we all partake in. Where do you think that puts me? Just ask to be foregiven after every trigger pull? I got tired of being told by the platoon chaplain to just put my worries in gods hands because of whatever scripture he mouthed after that and that's where the final transformation actually began.

Yes Jesus message has always been love. The church and the clergy however is a different story. They are the ones who push fear. Your pastor is probably a good ole boy who delivers the message. Those far above him is where the true evil lies......

As far as sin goes this is where we divide. I killed close to 80 children of god give or take a bakers dozen during my 20+ years service. That's the ultimate sin x 80+ and that's not including the daily sins we all partake in. Where do you think that puts me? Just ask to be foregiven after every trigger pull? I got tired of being told by the platoon chaplain to just put my worries in gods hands because of whatever scripture he mouthed after that and that's where the final transformation actually began.
I hate to even ask, but why is killing another person the ultimate sin? By who's authority is it declared to be the ultimate sin?

I hate to even ask, but why is killing another person the ultimate sin? By who's authority is it declared to be the ultimate sin?
I don't know bro. If it's not that bad try it some time and see how it makes you feel. Not trying to be a smart a$$ but it seems like the worst thing you can do on earth to me. If it's not the ultimate sin great news!

I don't know bro. If it's not that bad try it some time and see how it makes you feel. Not trying to be a smart a$$ but it seems like the worst thing you can do on earth to me. If it's not the ultimate sin great news!
It's not a sin when it's during wartime. Jesus was not some meek and mild pacifist like some people like to say.

It's not a sin when it's during wartime. Jesus was not some meek and mild pacifist like some people like to say.
Oh it's ok during war time. That makes me feel a hell of a lot better......Now is that any war even a stupid one started over oil in the sand? What does scripture say about really dumb wars? Not trying to mock you just curious

Oh it's ok during war time. That makes me feel a hell of a lot better......Now is that any war even a stupid one started over oil in the sand? What does scripture say about really dumb wars? Not trying to mock you just curious
Easy for me to say because I've never done it. But you were fighting for what your country asked you to do. Most things in life that cause grief and shame and guilt is not from God anyway. It's meant to steer us in the wrong direction.

I know you're not trying to be a smarta$$. I am just trying to make a point that if you're going to continue to reference killing people as a source of guilt or as a source/framework for how you think about things like sin, forgiveness, deserving of hell vs heaven or whatever, it would be a really good idea to know whether or not it carries the monumental importance you think it does. If it does carry that level of importance, then the question is why? Who or what elevates it to that level of importance? Because if it's just your feelings or my feelings, then we're in big trouble, because we don't have much authority of anything beyond our own selves, much less universal morality or judgment. We might as well just play tiddlywinks for the answers.

Our Pastor is not a "Good Ole Boy". He is a well studied and knowledgeable person. He consistently preaches against fear mongering, name it and claim it, and guilting type of preachers and constantly preaches the Gospel of Jesus.

Killing someone in war is not murder. Because we live in a fallen world where sin (satan) exists, there will always be wars. Even Jesus spoke of Government and said render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. That did not only refer to taxes but defense of country. There is evil in this world and we can defend ourselves and others. Murdering someone our of malice, anger, greed, etc. is different.

The ultimate sin is not murder, but "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" is.

By the way, I respect and thank you immensely for your Service and sacrifice. My Father and Grandfather ARE Marines. My Father still living, my Grandfather deceased, but will Always be Marines.

Back