• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern April Showers

While I was out walking in the evening I heard distant thunder and I noticed the thunderstorm cells popping to the south of me on the radar. It's interesting, as it's right at nighttime and they're still there, but I haven't had one really get me yet. I think it's coming, and I haven't showered yet (uh oh, but I'm getting in soon after I post this).

Weird thing is there was a Severe Thunderstorm Watch in the evening, but it long expired before all this started up.

Interested to see if we can get the sun out here tomorrow midday and get a few stronger storms going

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
As long as we don't get any kind of watch we might actually get a good storm.

Good thunderstorm now. It’s been raining for the most part of 24 hours! Last nights winds and today rain have made this quite the event!

That axis of training precip that was showing up on the Euro west of ATL a few days ago is setting up smack over the city instead. Could be some serious rain totals by dawn around these parts.

some serious basement flooding at my house.. so I know it's over 3-4 inches now...

Based on what I've seen on radar as well as 6 hour rainfall as of 2 AM Tuesday, KATL almost certainly reached over 3" of rainfall on 4/23/18. KSAV definitely had over 3". Going back to when KATL records started in 1879, when KSAV records had already started, 4/23/18 looks to go down as the FIRST calendar day on record for which both KATL and KSAV had 3"+ of rainfall from a nontropical system! Yes, you read that right. So, this is the first time that happened in nearly 140 years! It had happened only twice from tropical systems since 1879: 9/11/2017 from Irma (note that several posters mentioned the similarities to Irma) and 7/10/1948 from TS/TD #2 when it was centered in AL.

The above statistic is as good as just about any to demonstrate that this was a very rare extra-tropical storm system for GA in terms of the heavy precip affecting nearly the entire state of GA on the same calendar day. We could easily not have another like it for 100+ years being that this was the first of that kind in nearly 140 years! And to think that there was no dedicated thread for this storm! I'm sorry I didn't create one.

Last edited:
Congrats ATL on your 4”+!
Kind of a dud here with a meh 1.75, see if we can break 2” total today!?

Ended up with just over 4" here from this system. Looks like maybe a few showers around this morning or later today then that's it. Good thing we dry out properly after this.

As of 2 PM today, KATL has received a grand total of 4.73" of rainfall from this storm. The 4.73" ranks this as the 3rd wettest April storm there on record with only the 6.12" of 4/12-13/1979 and the 5.45" of 4/5-7/1936 having been wetter. So, this was the wettest April storm there in 39 years. Light rain was falling again at 2 PM. So, a little more could be added to the 4.73".

Last edited:
This is not submitted as an endorsement but it is interesting, particularly given the month we've been experiencing ... time will tell ...

-2.png -1.png

Edit:

Now's there's even more - stir it into the soup ...

Edit Further:

And then there is the Euro that wants no part of it ...

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_fh24-240.gif

Last edited:
This is not submitted as an endorsement but it is interesting, particularly given the month we've been experiencing ... time will tell ...

View attachment 5131 View attachment 5132

Edit:

Now's there's even more - stir it into the soup ...

Edit Further:

And then there is the Euro that wants no part of it ...

View attachment 5133
First plains severe event of the year with that look. Nice shetley ridge going up over the Carolinas

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back