• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9, 2018 Ice threat

The idea is that, if precip can get in quick enough before the wedge departs (and its booking it), that some insitu wedge can get established for CAD zones. If you're outside optimal CAD zones, it won't last as long; but if you take a look at the Canadian that handles ZR better, it's very scary. I am waiting until 00z & 12z tomorrow before I start to take the Canadian seriously.
Yea looking at the 18Z ICON it had a nice CAD in place but took the precip awhile to get into the CAD areas before it departed...Definitly needs to be closely monitored though especially with what the GGEM had at 12Z.
TT_TT_PN_108_0000.gif

P1_GZ_D5_PN_108_0000.gif

TT_TT_PN_120_0000.gif

I'd say at least as ominous, if not more so; even South of ATL on some members:

GEFSSE_prec_ptypens_114.png
Wedge sig is stronger, maybe why it's squashed this run on op

Lots of members showing it already but we all know how our last event panned it with several members on board 5 days out

Of course it's gonna be an ice storm on Monday! It's gonna be 60 on Tuesday! SMDH! Can't get a good storm and cold to follow, like RAH or CHS! :(

This could very well be a big Ice storm for us here in the upstate. Things look like it could trend right toward a perfect CAD setup for these areas. That a lot of Qpf and if that overuns the CAD we are in trouble.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Maybe at the onset, but after an hour or two it's all ZR or rain. That's about the best that can be done. As usual, the 850MB layer evacuates the area rapidly and we are left with a low level cold.
A few GEFS members keeping flirting with a more sleet/ snow mix bad type event

Oh hell, already???
We don't really want an ice storm, so why not start a thread? In all seriousness, we have good support from all 3 major global models and the GEFS for an ice storm in the CAD regions, so there is some signal. Really hope it busts and becomes rain or better than ZR.

We don't really want an ice storm, so why not start a thread? In all seriousness, we have good support from all 3 major global models and the GEFS for an ice storm in the CAD regions, so there is some signal. Really hope it busts and becomes rain or better than ZR.
Yeah there is definitely a big signal for an ice storm. Me and Forsyth have been sniffing it out

Back