• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Microwave March

I'd bet against a freeze. We'll see some 30's but I'm with Robert. I think the SER sticks around through summer. I'm just basing that on persistence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tend to think that the SER will get shunted out a time or two. Although it's seemingly hung around most of the winter, we've seen it pack its bags a couple of times. There's a lot of cold building up in central/eastern Canada. We'll see if the stars align one more time, but like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if we just stayed above normal for the rest of the winter. Then, we'll get into April/May and see blocking get established and have below normal with light rain.

I tend to think that the SER will get shunted out a time or two. Although it's seemingly hung around most of the winter, we've seen it pack its bags a couple of times. There's a lot of cold building up in central/eastern Canada. We'll see if the stars align one more time, but like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if we just stayed above normal for the rest of the winter. Then, we'll get into April/May and see blocking get established and have below normal with light rain.
Well we have 7 more days of winter so you're not really going out on a limb there.

Last edited:
Toss this look, it's in fantasy land LOL. One could only wish though.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_46.png

Ive had more snow
Well we have 7 more days of winter so you're not really going out on a limb there.
Allow me to clarify: Even though I said "winter", I meant through the remainder of the time where freezing is generally possible: now-April. That's a pretty wide window, and we have seen freezes through this period historically.

Allow me to clarify: Even though I said "winter", I meant through the remainder of the time where freezing is generally possible: now-April. That's a pretty wide window, and we have seen freezes through this period historically.
12Z GFS is at least trying to show something cool/cold towards the end of the run ... beyond truncation but more than we've seen in days :D

It's definitely way too early to say there won't be at least another freeze or two across the Carolinas. The average last freeze doesn't usually occur until late March-early April, and even in a background skewed towards above-well above normal temperatures, we still have at least another month or so left before we can get comfortable...
nc.avg.last.spring.freeze.gif

The big news will probably be the resurgence of the drought unless things change. I look for D4 drought to cover most of the southeast by May 1. This summer will probably be hotter than 2007 and longer lasting too. Someone may get close to 120 in SC or GA.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on this animation over the next several weeks to see if a downwelling oceanic kelvin wave was generated by the MJO pulse that's currently over the western hemisphere. The thermocline has started to become anomalously suppressed near and just west of the International Dateline within the last week or so...
wkxzteq_anm.gif

wkxzteq_all.gif

The big news will probably be the resurgence of the drought unless things change. I look for D4 drought to cover most of the southeast by May 1. This summer will probably be hotter than 2007 and longer lasting too. Someone may get close to 120 in SC or GA.
I don't really think that we will see the drought get worse, and I believe it will get better, but it will occur slowly. There may be periods of the drought growing, but I think that it will overall by May be a lot smaller than right now. If it does get worse, D4 won't cover that large of an area. As far as 120? Doubt it. I would bet more on having snow before April than someone reaching 120.

Last edited:

120 with more drought to come? Sounds more like Death Valley then the southeast that you are describing if you ask me.

CPC isn't biting on a freeze any time soon - which given history, might be somewhat of a good sign for one

610temp_new.gif

814temp_new.gif

It's definitely way too early to say there won't be at least another freeze or two across the Carolinas. The average last freeze doesn't usually occur until late March-early April, and even in a background skewed towards above-well above normal temperatures, we still have at least another month or so left before we can get comfortable...
View attachment 207
Average last freeze in North GA is about the same as in most of NC

Week 3-4 CPC temperature/precipitation outlook and discussion. Should see more seasonable temps return to the southeastern US as we get into the 2nd week of March, with above-well above normal precipitation, but we're liable to go back into the fryer before long as hinted at by the very stable retrogression of the mid-latitude rossby wave train w/ North Pacific ridging quickly retrograding and decaying over the WPO domain... The CPC forecast is similar to what the European Weeklies are depicting through mid March.

"Prognostic Discussion for Experimental Week 3-4 Outlook
NWS Climate Prediction Center College Park MD
300PM EST Fri Feb 17 2017

Week 3-4 Forecast Discussion Valid Sat Mar 04 2017-Fri Mar 17 2017

ENSO-neutral conditions currently are present across the equatorial Pacific Ocean. Equatorial sea surface temperatures (SSTs) are near average in the central and east-central Pacific Ocean, while above average SSTs are in the eastern Pacific Ocean. The RMM-based MJO index indicated a robust eastward propagation of a MJO signal across the Western Pacific into the Western Hemisphere during the last couple of days. During the next two weeks, the GEFS depicts continued eastward propagation with reduction in amplitude over the western Hemisphere. The MJO is anticipated to influence the evolution of the global tropical convective pattern during the next several weeks. In addition to this anticipated evolution of the global tropical convective pattern, dynamical model guidance from the CFS, ECMWF, and JMA, statistical tools, long term trends, and consistent evolution from the Week-2 forecast were considered for this Week 3-4 outlook.

Dynamical model guidance for the Week 3-4 period is generally in good agreement among the CFS, ECMWF, and JMA solutions, depicting a trough over the eastern CONUS, with a ridge over the western CONUS and Alaska. The forecast height anomaly patterns exhibit some differences among the tools, however. The CFS and ECMWF ensemble mean forecasts depict below-normal 500-hPa heights over parts of the Northern Plains, the Upper Mississippi Valley, the Great Lakes, and the Northwest, while the JMA ensemble mean only shows below- normal 500-hpa heights over the Northeast. All dynamical models indicate positive 500-hPa height anomalies over Western CONUS, Alaska, and Florida. The ECMWF and JMA ensemble mean forecasts also predict positive 500-hPa height anomalies over Hawaii.

Above-normal 500-hPa heights and ridging lead to enhanced probabilities for near to above normal temperatures over Florida, most of the western CONUS, and Alaska, with the highest probabilities over California and western Alaska. This pattern is also supported by dynamical model temperature guidance tools (CFS, ECMWF and JMA). Below-normal 500-hPa heights and trough enhance probabilities for below-normal temperatures for parts of the Great Plains, and most of the northeastern CONUS.

There are enhanced probabilities for near- to above-median precipitation for most of the southeastern CONUS in association with a trough forecast near the eastern CONUS. Below-median precipitation is favored over California downstream of forecast anomalous ridging. Dynamical guidance (CFS and ECMWF) predicts below-median precipitation over the Great Lakes, and southwestern Alaska, with above-median precipitation over Montana.

Above-normal temperatures are forecast across Hawaii due to persistent anomalously warm sea surface temperatures and positive 500-hpa height anomalies across the region. Dynamical model guidance from the CFS, ECMWF, and JMA favors below-median precipitation for Kahului and Honolulu."

WK34temp.gif

WK34prcp.gif

Back