• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern November Knock-Out

"I" is the most overused word in the English language. However, here's more overuse - I wish folks would calm down and enjoy a true fall for a change; I wish for a real winter coming up, but I wish equally for a bit of serenity in the reactions to a model run or two ...
Your Curmudgeon

We've already been having a real November and I expect a real winter (near normal) to follow.

Like I said, Larry, it's a true fall for a change ... :D:cool:;)

I agree that it's a true fall once we got to mid fall and it has been fantastic! Early fall not so much with the very warm first half of Oct.

I agree that it's a true fall once we got to mid to fall and it has been fantastic! Early fall not so much with the very warm first half of Oct.
I guess it's all geography -- fall starts here a little later than there and north; this month has been great for long walks - even hit Vets Park late the other afternoon ... :cool: ... fantabulous ... heck, I've been in the 30s a few times ... now just a freeze to get the ticks and its off to San Falasco for a 5 hour walk! ;)
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/San-Felasco-Hammock

Last edited:
We've already been having a real November and I expect a real winter (near normal) to follow.
I feel a lot better about this upcoming winter than I did last year. Before we know it we will be tracking our first storm. Could possibly be as early as next month which would be nice.

Wondering if we can finish up November below normal? With these modeled Arctic blasts not verifying nearly as cold as modeled and the very, very warm first week or so, don't they can be overcome??

2d925d5774d3739cbc8ecf92b965d1e7.jpg

Got much warmer than forecast today..57 verses the 66.2 it got up to lol. Still much better than last year! Great day to put the final touches on Christmas outside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what gives Eric, are the forecasted indicies wrong or are we in a time where they don't matter or is this going to be a super anomalous pattern?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't necessarily view this as the teleconnections are "wrong", I think it's important to understand what they physically mean, where they came from, and what they're really meant to represent in a larger sense. Teleconnections are merely representations of forcings (variance in mass transports/redistribution related to Rossby Wave behavior, external forcings, etc.) that ultimately drive them, and were made to simplify and describe the highly complex, non-linear, seemingly chaotic nature of the ocean-atmosphere into a few, easier to digest variables. To get a better sense of what's really going on here it's important to understand the physical mechanisms that can modulate them and understand that few (if any) of these teleconnection patterns are truly independent from one another (although eigenvector (EOF) analysis may argue otherwise) and often possess significant overlap). For example, the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) mode is just a localized version of the Arctic Oscillation (AO) (thus the NAO is often (but not always) moderate-highly correlated to the AO and of the same sign) and the NAO just simply represents the meridional variation in the North Atlantic storm track, which is influenced by a plethora of phenomena (including but not limited to: Rossby Wave trains emanating from tropical convection, quasi-stationary planetary waves (w/ some seasonal modulation by ENSO), higher frequency Rossby wave packets and transients, and solar activity, just to name a few). Knowing what these phenomena are and what influence they could have on teleconnections like the NAO will provide you an appreciably deeper understanding of what's actually going on here and you'll probably see why I chose to disagree with your statement that the teleconnections were "wrong". I'm not saying they're "right" either, at least in the same sense as what you're trying to get at, but I'm trying to steer you in a direction that entices you (& others here) to take on a much different, analytical perspective of teleconnections if nothing else.

See Wallace and Gutzler (1980) for a more detailed, technical description and overview of teleconnections and how they were derived.
Although it's an old paper, it definitely helps give some perspective on where indices like the AO, NAO, PNA, etc. come from and what they physically mean/represent in a larger sense...
http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0493(1981)109<0784:TITGHF>2.0.CO;2

I wouldn't necessarily view this as the teleconnections are "wrong", I think it's important to understand what they physically mean, where they came from, and what they're really meant to represent in a larger sense. Teleconnections are merely representations of forcings (variance in mass transports/redistribution related to Rossby Wave behavior, external forcings, etc.) that ultimately drive them, and were made to simplify and describe the highly complex, non-linear, seemingly chaotic nature of the ocean-atmosphere into a few, easier to digest variables. To get a better sense of what's really going on here it's important to understand the physical mechanisms that can modulate them and understand that few (if any) of these teleconnection patterns are truly independent from one another (although eigenvector (EOF) analysis may argue otherwise) and often possess significant overlap). For example, the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) mode is just a localized version of the Arctic Oscillation (AO) (thus the NAO is often (but not always) moderate-highly correlated to the AO and of the same sign) and the NAO just simply represents the meridional variation in the North Atlantic storm track, which is influenced by a plethora of phenomena (including but not limited to: Rossby Wave trains emanating from tropical convection, quasi-stationary planetary waves (w/ some seasonal modulation by ENSO), higher frequency Rossby wave packets and transients, and solar activity, just to name a few). Knowing what these phenomena are and what influence they could have on teleconnections like the NAO will provide you an appreciably deeper understanding of what's actually going on here and you'll probably see why I chose to disagree with your statement that the teleconnections were "wrong". I'm not saying they're "right" either, at least in the same sense as what you're trying to get at, but I'm trying to steer you in a direction that entices you (& others here) to take on a much different, analytical perspective of teleconnections if nothing else.

See Wallace and Gutzler (1980) for a more detailed, technical description and overview of teleconnections and how they were derived.
Although it's an old paper, it definitely helps give some perspective on where indices like the AO, NAO, PNA, etc. come from and what they physically mean/represent in a larger sense...
http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0493(1981)109<0784:TITGHF>2.0.CO;2
Fantastic post, Webb!
Thanks!
Phil

Edit: Hope you understand that most of us are just hanging a hat on any rack that may provide hope for some semblance of a winter ... human nature ... o_O

Models schmodels ...

This is what a forecasted 1" plus rain looks like in Gainesville - less than 18 hours ago 90% was the NWS call ... not even a drizzle ... so 5, 10, 15 days out on anything ... not a clue, IMHO

Screen_Shot_2017-11-21_at_6.21.07_PM.png

Last edited:

Thanks Eric and great post.... but to be fair Judah actually posted the same question I just rephrased and directed it to you

Ugh, lol...
Lol no "ugh" needed... that was great information and every time I read your post I learn more and more. I love giving the teacher an opportunity to educate us students

Lol no "ugh" needed... that was great information and every time I read your post I learn more and more. I love giving the teacher an opportunity to educate us students

and that we are ...

Sophomores, if not recent enrollees into next year's class ...

Last edited:
Back