• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Reminiscing Thread

Being from the CLT area, the two that I would replace on this list are the Blizzard of ‘93 and January 2018.

‘93 Blizzard was fun to watch the reports coming from further west in the foothills and mountains and I did end up with 6” in Concord after the changeover, but other than actually being under a Blizzard Warning, it wasn’t anything unprecedented in the metro area.

January 2018 was a good storm but it wasn’t as big for CLT as it ended up being for the Triangle.

The two I would replace these with is February 1996 Ice/Sleet Storm and Cold and February 2004.

February 1996 was had that awesome thunder sleet that just dumped sleet in buckets for a couple hours. Then was followed by highs in the upper teens the next day with a steady light snow throughout out the day and night.

February 2004 is obviously my favorite to experience in the Charlotte area. Got a solid 7.5” during the day from overrunning and then was fortunate to be under the heaviest band during the upper low that night. When I measured the next morning, it was at 19.3” but I’m pretty sure it had packed down some with how wet the snow was.
I was still at Davidson for January 2018. I ended up with about half a foot but it hung around forever with the cold that came in behind it. I’ve seen more in storms but I’ve rarely seen it hang on that long.

I was still at Davidson for January 2018. I ended up with about half a foot but it hung around forever with the cold that came in behind it. I’ve seen more in storms but I’ve rarely seen it hang on that long.
Yeah it did have some staying power. I got 3.6” down here in Wingate and the ground stayed pretty much covered for 3 days before it really started melting.

1 January 15th ish ( Iowa) 28” inches of snow in 5 days. 2 double digit storms and a 3” clipper in between
2 Jan 88
3 Hugo ( in Gastonia)
4 2002 December ice storm
5 the 2016 November tornado EF-1 ( 110mph) through my backyard and neighborhood
6 lots of good 6-8 inch snows in the 80s! When things used to bust in our favor! Remember one storm the weather man said 8-10 flakes could mix in with the rain and woke up to 6-8” of snow!⛄
That sounds like Jan 22 1987. Only Charlie Gertz got that one right.

That sounds like Jan 22 1987. Only Charlie Gertz got that one right.
Joe Bastardi did the afternoon weather on WBT radio in Charlotte for Accu-weather back then and he absolutely nailed it the afternoon before. He said 5-8” for CLT even while the NWS was only calling for mainly rain.

Linden, NC (near Fayetteville)
March 1-2, 1980 (about ft of snow)
January 1985 - brutal cold (negative temps)
December 1989 (only white Christmas in my lifetime in my area)
September 1996 - Hurricane Fran
Hurricane Matthew (2016) - 15" of rain during storm, 10" of rain week prior. Historical flooding for area
April 2011 tornadoes, F3 less than 1 mile from my house
Hurricane Florence (2018)

I am thinking Hurricanes and severe weather will end up out numbering snow storms at this pace.

Last edited:
Joe Bastardi did the afternoon weather on WBT radio in Charlotte for Accu-weather back then and he absolutely nailed it the afternoon before. He said 5-8” for CLT even while the NWS was only calling for mainly rain.
I guess I should have said this was for the GSP metro. I did not watch the CLT news on tv or listen to the radio stations there then.

Edit: I did watch the Charlotte stations later on and I must say WOSC TV had one of the best weatherman around at that time. WBTV had a great one too, once Eric Thomas got promoted. I never did like Mike McKay and could not pick up 36.

Last edited:
I knew there was snow in Valdosta when I about 7. Now I know it was the Feb 1973 storm that ya'll speak of. It was so weird I remember. Cold and unusual. I always wondered about that.
And of course 93 in Athens was the bomb! Didn't think it would snow, went out got drunk. Went to some dude's house on the river like a tree house almost. Was amazing. Had no appropriate shoes to walk out in the snow but did anyway. Glorious and hung over as hell. The guy kept wanting me to come back over an hypnotize me. Ummm NO. That's a few of my memories of 93. HA HA!

I guess I should have said this was for the GSP metro. I did not watch the CLT news on tv or listen to the radio stations there then.

Edit: I did watch the Charlotte stations later on and I must say WOSC TV had one of the best weatherman around at that time. WBTV had a great one too, once Eric Thomas got promoted. I never did like Mike McKay and could not pick up 36.
WSOC had Ray Boylan then who was always fun to watch… his coverage of Hurricane Hugo was second to none, probably because he was a former Hurricane Hunter himself. When Boylan retired in 1997, he was replaced by Steve Udelson who actually just announced yesterday that he would be retiring at the end of the month.

WSOC had Ray Boylan then who was always fun to watch… his coverage of Hurricane Hugo was second to none, probably because he was a former Hurricane Hunter himself. When Boylan retired in 1997, he was replaced by Steve Udelson who actually just announced yesterday that he would be retiring at the end of the month.
WSOC radio did really good weather coverage back then too. They did an excellent job on May 5, 1989. I listened to them most of that evening although the event was obviously over in my location.

1. 1993 blizzard. Got hammered.
2. January 2014 just due to the 10 mile walk and 14 mile ATV ride.
3. 1987 - first snow I remember vividly.
4. January 2011. More good driving stories.
5. Opal
6. 2009 floods
7. February 2015. Got to walk around with my son in a whiteout and had a neighborhood snowball fight.
8. 1994 ice storm. Epic sledding for days on end.
9. 2010 white Christmas. No explanation needed.
10. Feb 2010. Broke the streak of smaller snows every year.
Honorable mention is December 2017. Got a foot but it was sloppy and no power ruined it. It was 36 in the house with a roaring fire when the power came back on.

1. 1993 blizzard. Got hammered.
2. January 2014 just due to the 10 mile walk and 14 mile ATV ride.
3. 1987 - first snow I remember vividly.
4. January 2011. More good driving stories.
5. Opal
6. 2009 floods
7. February 2015. Got to walk around with my son in a whiteout and had a neighborhood snowball fight.
8. 1994 ice storm. Epic sledding for days on end.
9. 2010 white Christmas. No explanation needed.
10. Feb 2010. Broke the streak of smaller snows every year.
Honorable mention is December 2017. Got a foot but it was sloppy and no power ruined it. It was 36 in the house with a roaring fire when the power came back on.

January 2014 was my last winter in Alabama and February 2021 was my last winter in Texas. Kind of ironic actually ? both are up there for sure. We were between the chaos in Birmingham and Atlanta in 2014

Opal is also a vivid memory. Closest thing I've seen to a full blown hurricane and I was 7 years old in the middle of the night 4 hours from the beach... I remember walking across dead power lines at sunrise with sunny skies. It was moving so fast

January 2014 was my last winter in Alabama and February 2021 was my last winter in Texas. Kind of ironic actually ? both are up there for sure. We were between the chaos in Birmingham and Atlanta in 2014

Opal is also a vivid memory. Closest thing I've seen to a full blown hurricane and I was 7 years old in the middle of the night 4 hours from the beach... I remember walking across dead power lines at sunrise with sunny skies. It was moving so fast
I had never seen clouds move that fast until Opal. You could not find a square inch of grass in our yard from all the limbs. The only thing close was Zeta a couple years back.

Giving this a bit of thought but realized that I can just talk and talk about some of these events hah. The unique thing is that I wasn't even in Augusta for four of these events:

1. 1/28/14 (was in Rome, GA, although Augusta did receive a solid snowfall, and it's probably the last good snow it received even though there's been a couple dustings since then, I REALLY hope the events of this one don't fade for me as the years continue to roll on as it was such a unique one for me)

2. 12/25/10 (was in La Fayette, GA in this instance, and I kinda remember this better than 2/12/10 even though that was a great event for Augusta. Unfortunately, I had either bed bugs or fleas really attack me for the first time, which led to us cutting our visitation a day short, and we all got sick with food poisoning, with it eventually hospitalizing my grandma. The unique thing about the top 2 here was that they were both busts that led to more snow than what was expected)

3. 2/12/10 (this has to be ranked highly despite a lot of my memories of this one fading)

4. January 2011 (very unique one, it was a sloppy event here, but it produced something interesting)

5. 2/25/15 (another one where I was in Rome, GA)

6. mid-February 2014 (was in Rome, GA and this was a terrific snow here with the pre-event being pretty good as well, but I remember it for the ice storm it produced in Augusta as it was a bad one. Parents lost power early in the morning on the day of the storm and it was out for several days unlike what occurred with January 2004, when my grandma and grandpa got power back in Evans, they left to go stay there, and my mom was not amused about spending her Anniversary with the in-laws, even though she typically likes the company)

7. Hurricane Michael (tracking it for as long as I did, and I can remember that video of Brett Adair's truck floating away in the storm surge even though it's probably been years since I've watched it)

8. Hurricane Irma (since I can remember it being cold and nasty as it went through)

There's more, but I don't feel like I can post them in good faith. I at least have SOME memory of 2/12/10, but I have close to "zero" recall on January 2002 or, sadly to me now, January 2004, and don't really remember severe events.

Last edited:
Back