• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Reminiscing Thread

Top 4
Febuary 2004=18
March 1993 = 17 blizzard was in mtns.
January 2000=14
December 2002= Mega ICE
Seen a bunch of other good ones. Hugo inland,Fran inland, Jan 1988, 1996....

Feb 2004 in Charlotte and December 2010 for me are about it! Good times
I lived in Midland during the February 2004 storm. The overrunning band that came through during the day would made that a really good storm, but that ULL that night was insane. I remember on The Weather Channel radar, my house was under one of those bright yellow and red returns that just sat over us for about 4 hours. The lightning was so intense too and just lit everything up when it reflected off all the snow that was falling.

I lived in Midland during the February 2004 storm. The overrunning band that came through during the day would made that a really good storm, but that ULL that night was insane. I remember on The Weather Channel radar, my house was under one of those bright yellow and red returns that just sat over us for about 4 hours. The lightning was so intense too and just lit everything up when it reflected off all the snow that was falling.
I was 4 years old living off Harrisburg road in Cambridge right off 485 , I remember it well as I went sledding down the hill we had

I was 4 years old living off Harrisburg road in Cambridge right off 485 , I remember it well as I went sledding down the hill we had
I think WBTV had a live crew reporting close to there on the 11pm news that evening. I remember the reporter stuck a yard stick in the snow on the road way and the snow was 16” deep in the road. I still think if I had gone out to measure about 1 or 2am I would have gotten a measurement of 21-23”… I measured 19.6” at 7am the next morning, but I’m pretty sure that it had compacted down some.

I think WBTV had a live crew reporting close to there on the 11pm news that evening. I remember the reporter stuck a yard stick in the snow on the road way and the snow was 16” deep in the road. I still think if I had gone out to measure about 1 or 2am I would have gotten a measurement of 21-23”… I measured 19.6” at 7am the next morning, but I’m pretty sure that it had compacted down some.
Biggest snowfall of my life, 2010 was great too. Solid foot just bout.

These stick out to me recently, there was also the ice storms when I was a kid that caused us to go without power for days. My parents had a wood stove so I remember it was awesome as a kid.

Dec 2017, got like 10 inches…

1707015855219.png

Jan 2011, lived in Athens…classes at UGA cancelled for like a week

1707015890696.jpeg

Snowmageddon, had to ditch my car and walk 4 miles home…

1707015919595.png

March 2009 ULL, live in Athens and jackpotted.

1707015983683.png

Steve Crump standing in the middle of independence Blvd because it was closed was a vivid memory.

1. Floyd
2. March 1984 F4 a mile down the road
3. March 1-3 1980
4. Cane season 1996 Bertha/Fran gusted 110
5. Irene
6. March 27 2009 watched EF1 miss my house by a few hundred yards
7. April 16 2011tornado outbreak
8. Feb 25 1989 snowstorm
9. Infamous Dec 3 2000 storm
10. Dec 26 2010 snow

I once saw a picture of "The State" Newspaper online (I'm fairly positive it was from an article per The State Newspaper) as the paper was giving details regarding the anniversary of the 1973 Great Southeastern Snowstorm.

It showed the weather outlook for that day and it mentioned rain with a slight chance of snow. My mom once told me one of the meteorologists expected about an inch of snow once they were aware a winter storm was approaching. Of course, that was far off and those numbers supposedly were increasing throughout the evening and the following day.

Several years ago, I used to converse with a guy who had started a rough draft of writing a book on the storm. I helped him gather pictures from the remnants of storm and he had conversed with newspaper writers, meteorologists, and residents from SC, Georgia, and NC re: the storm. It's been awhile since I've spoken with him, so I'm not sure if he ever completed the book.

I may have to sort through some old emails and see if I'm able to contact him.

I love a good overpeforming event. Here's a few memorable overperformers over the years.

Feb 8 2020 - forecast was 1/2" to 1" mainly on grassy surfaces...ended up with a 4" on all surfaces. also the last storm here where snow was the only precip type from start to finish.

Jan 29 2010 - forecast was primarily a sleet/freezing rain to rain storm with little if any snow on the front end...ended up with 5" of snow on the front end before finally transitioning to freezing rain and then rain.

Nov 19 2000 - forecast was a chance of flurries or sprinkles- ended up with 1/2". Memorable as a lot of trees still had some leaves, plus so early in the season.

March 12-13 1993 - iirc, the forecast was 6 to 12 from the local TV mets and the NWS...ended up with 20". Thundersnow with 50mph wind gusts was amazing, though it kinda sucked not having power for 5 days.

March 4th 2015 for me. I was living in Jonesboro Arkansas at the time. We had a winter storm that had about 1.55 qpf below freezing. A little rain and then freezing rain about .20 and then almost two inches sleet and then 9 inches snow!! Biggest event for me so far that I can actually remember.

Back