• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Winter 2023-24 Grade

How do you grade the winter of 2023-24 ?

• A

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • B

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • C

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • D

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • F

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • F-

Votes: 42 47.7%

• Total voters
C- here. We had just over 10 inches of snow (about 60 percent of normal) and a freezing rain event, along with a winter low of -8, with two other days below zero. We had snow on the ground almost two straight weeks and something like 10 of 11 days below freezing, with 37 being the high the one day it was above.

Unfortunately, outside of that stretch, there's been virtually no winter weather to speak of this winter.

I realize I did better than most of the forum area, who really had it bad on the heels of last year's non-winter.

Well I went with F- because there is absolutely no way to sugar coat how absolutely horrible this winter was for us east of the mountains. At least last year winter, we had a fairly cold stretch for the holidays and I actually did get to see some snow and sleet falling for a few hours the week of Christmas. This year though, nothing good to say. This will be only the 2nd time in my like that I’ve gone an entire winter without at least seeing snowflakes fall at my house once with the other being 1991-92. The two worst parts about this has been the fact that the two closest opportunities for us was missed because of suppression in an El Niño… something that hardly ever happens… both times a phase about 8 hours earlier would have probably had me 6”+ storms at least. The other and more frustrating thing is that for two months, the pattern followed the climo for a moderate to strong El Niño almost to a tee and if it had continued I truly think we would have been tracking multiple storms for the last 3 weeks. All I can say about this snow drought that we’re in is that it has happened before in my lifetime and both times, when it ended it ended in a big way. Oh well onto the severe weather and hurricane season. I’m already looking forward to Fro’s lightning pics

D for Blacksburg because we somehow how tripled our snow total from last winter. Tripled in this case means nothing however. 1.3 last winter, 3.5 this winter. Not so great when you average two feet.
I think most of Virginia gets a D except for higher elevations and parts of NOVA which get a C at best.

C to C-
Overall below normal snowfall and above normal temps for DJF is worthy of a D grade, but a solid week of legit cold in January with 8 consecutive days with snow/sleet on the ground IMBY carries some weight. Could have easily finished with an A or B if February didn't turn into Failbruary.

I'm normally pretty lenient with my winter ratings, but this season was a total dud. There really wasn't even any fantasy storms in the LR. The only reason this season gets an F instead of an F- is because it was slightly cooler than last season. I shouldn't have moved back from MD 😢

I'm normally pretty lenient with my winter ratings, but this season was a total dud. There really wasn't even any fantasy storms in the LR. The only reason this season gets an F instead of an F- is because it was slightly cooler than last season. I shouldn't have moved back from MD 😢

Yeah I'm not sure why this winter has bothered me so much tbh. I mean last year was pathetic too but I had way moved on before we got deep into February like this year shrugs. I mean the whole reason I even went to Colorado 2 weeks ago tbh was my frustration with the winter had boiled over by then. I never went anywhere last winter...

I mean I've seen numerous snowless winters in Alabama and Dallas but I guess it bothers me more up here when we only get an inch or two... It's weird. But again like I said people around us got way more snow too I think that's the center of the problem I had

I'll give it a solid B for a fun ice storm and one hell of a cold snap. The ice storm was fun because it was nearly purely sleet and the power stayed on. We went a week with every low but one below 15 degrees IIRC. Also, much of December and January, while not cold, was cool. Really didn't torch that I can remember. How could the score improve? Have snow instead of sleet and more cold.

Started with a F but gave it a D. Saw a few flakes driving on Dec 29. Nothing that stuck. That was it. Did have a good cold stretch. It could have been worse … I guess??

F-…we didn’t even get close to a snowflake. It seems insurmountable we ever see snow again in our lifetime…or in our children’s.

Its too bad we all don’t live in Tupelo…they had a record year.

IMG_0759.png

F-…we didn’t even get close to a snowflake. It seems insurmountable we ever see snow again in our lifetime…or in our children’s.

Its too bad we all don’t live in Tupelo…they had a record year.

View attachment 146975
That’s pretty bleak across the board, aside from the mid-South. Of course, there still may be hope to add to those totals for the northern half of that map, but still.

Back