• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are silly. If there's too much back and forth in the discussion threads, you can easily move it here if you have mod permissions. Gifs are easy to post through tapatalk. Remote uploads aren't enabled currently.

Edit: Brick posted his gif above using giphy, the site has parsers for common websites like that so they'll work.

I am currently trimming down all the sections of the forum. There's too much going on. Do you guys want Tropical Weather's threads just merged here into the General Weather Discussion, or do you want them to keep their own forum, but as a sub forum to General Weather?

is using many acronyms and many of them being very obscure communicate the message? or is that an effort to impress others by using terms they dont know?

is using many acronyms and many of them being very obscure communicate the message? or is that an effort to impress others by using terms they dont know?
I've read almost all of his post long enough to learn what most of those mean, I've also learned if I don't know and just ask he is more then willing to answer... this approach works much better then a post that could be, understandably so, misunderstood as a means to "stir the pot".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

my intent isnt to stir any pot, it is to just improve communication among the posters......working the media live on tv and radio i learned long ago using words others dont know is NOT communicating and would be an attempt to impress others with my vocabulary so i did NOT do that, i chose words most all knew rather than being like dennis miller on monday night football making obscure literary references.......again my intent is pure desire the HELP the communication on this forum

If every index were spelled out instead of using acronyms, it would:

1. Make it more difficult for the poster since having to spell out every one takes a lot more typing...can you imagine having to type out North Atlantic Oscillation, Arctic Oscillation, Pacific North American, Pacific Decadal Oscillation, Madden-Julian Oscillation, East Pacific Oscillation, West Pacific Oscillation, Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, and El Niño Southern Oscillation every time when you can instead just type NAO, AO, PNA, PDO, MJO, EPO, WPO, AMO, and ENSO?

2. For a similar reason it would make it more tedious for the reader.

Certain often used acronyms are assumed to be known by most here. If you don't know one, you can either ask the poster or google it.

ty and that is sorta my point, if posters have to ask what did that mean please then the communication didnt happen with the original wording........and i agree the very common terms indeed most do know.

my intent isnt to stir any pot, it is to just improve communication among the posters......working the media live on tv and radio i learned long ago using words others dont know is NOT communicating and would be an attempt to impress others with my vocabulary so i did NOT do that, i chose words most all knew rather than being like dennis miller on monday night football making obscure literary references.......again my intent is pure desire the HELP the communication on this forum
If your intent was not to stir any pot, which is why I said it could be misunderstood, and your intent is purely to help with communication, which I take no issue with, then might I suggest a friendly PM to the poster to convey that point minus the phrase "an effort to impress others by using terms they dont know". That last part has a judgmental connotation to it and could be misinterpreted.

If every index were spelled out instead of using acronyms, it would:

1. Make it more difficult for the poster since having to spell out every one takes a lot more typing...can you imagine having to type out North Atlantic Oscillation, Arctic Oscillation, Pacific North American, Pacific Decadal Oscillation, Madden-Julian Oscillation, East Pacific Oscillation, West Pacific Oscillation, Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, and El Niño Southern Oscillation every time when you can instead just type NAO, AO, PNA, PDO, MJO, EPO, WPO, AMO, and ENSO?

2. For a similar reason it would make it more tedious for the reader.

Certain often used acronyms are assumed to be known by most here. If you don't know one, you can either ask the poster or google it.
Now we have a post we can refer to if someone needs to know an acronym

ty, metwannabe i see your point about misunderstanding my intent.....i held myself to that same standard by NOT trying to impress my viewers/listeners with my vocabulary.

If your intent was not to stir any pot, which is why I said it could be misunderstood, and your intent is purely to help with communication, which I take no issue with, then might I suggest a friendly PM to the poster to convey that point minus the phrase "an effort to impress others by using terms they dont know". That last part has a judgmental connotation to it and could be misinterpreted.

Nailed it. Why not just ask the source instead of making a passive aggressive post?

My philosophy is "if i don't know it, google it". It takes all of 3 seconds and I learn something new every time.

some may enjoy one of my favorite lines when doing commentary on football games, often during a game a player will not look the ball into their hands and make the catch.....i would say as charles emerson winchester said do one thing at a time do it very well then move on, translation first catch the football then run with it.....also in every game at every level i would say hey coach the tight end is wide open over the middle in 99% of your passing plays.

for clarification my comment was not directed at any single poster, as above when i post to a single person i use their name.....

some may enjoy one of my favorite lines when doing commentary on football games, often during a game a player will not look the ball into their hands and make the catch.....i would say as charles emerson winchester said do one thing at a time do it very well then move on, translation first catch the football then run with it.....also in every game at every level i would say hey coach the tight end is wide open over the middle in 99% of your passing plays.
The operating room also fell way behind while Charles Emerson Winchester III was doing one thing only and doing it very well before moving on. With meatball surgery (or informal weather forums) sometimes you have to take shortcuts to keep things moving.... I'm a M.A.S.H fanatic

the other guy in the avatar is Neal Walker a 6 ft 11 public defender in Kentucky last time i heard of him...the picture is from the Pikeville college(now University of Pike)1971/2 basketball team pictures.

Fedex is trash. I had a 2 piece shipment coming to my house, package 1 delivered Monday package 2 can't be delivered due to an incorrect address, um what. After talking to customer service I was ensured it would deliver today, nope another exception. To top it off I passed the FedEx driver this evening. Funny story for FedEx the company I work for spends 1.2 million a year in shipping with them. I am now in the process of switching us to UPS

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fedex is trash. I had a 2 piece shipment coming to my house, package 1 delivered Monday package 2 can't be delivered due to an incorrect address, um what. After talking to customer service I was ensured it would deliver today, nope another exception. To top it off I passed the FedEx driver this evening. Funny story for FedEx the company I work for spends 1.2 million a year in shipping with them. I am now in the process of switching us to UPS

We switched from fedex to ups last year. No issues as of yet and somehow we ended up with two ups computers and our account rep brings us stuff weekly !!! Lol

Hey! I (and my sister) happen to work for that said company....:rolleyes:

On a serious note, prior to working there I (or anyone in my family that I'm aware of) have run into any major issues with FedEx or UPS when it comes to home deliveries. They're both ok to me.

We switched from fedex to ups last year. No issues as of yet and somehow we ended up with two ups computers and our account rep brings us stuff weekly !!! Lol
That's awesome. I don't have time for a crappy service level. They've already pissed me off returning properly labeled packages to our KC warehouse and getting us fined for not meeting SLAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back