• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion part 3. Don's Winter Storm Hunt

That's true too Phil, you also have to factor in the teleconnections. Based from what we're looking at in the 14 day outlook, the PNA is showing neutral, NAO is showing slightly positive to slightly negative, the AO is showing pretty much neutral. Based off of that, right now during that time period, this means that it won't be severely warm or cold. It means that some places will be experiencing slightly below or near normal and some much below normal. If I pick on of those phases, I'd go with phase 1 with the composites and with the significance, I'd go with phase 8 of the JFM. What we're seeing now will change. It may end up colder, warmer or some where in between.

Ugh, for the umpteenth time I can virtually guarantee you that the MJO is not going back into phase 8 at the end of the month... Stop looking at the GEFS. It's complete garbage w/ western hemisphere MJO forecasts
For a second I thought my dad had joined this forum and stole your identity but then realized he don't know jack about the western hemi MJO.... Lol. Just razzing you man, good stuff as always!

Somewhat depends on what time period you are looking at (JFM or FMA) - for me, I prefer the composite with the month in question in the middle. However - remember - those are just composites, are not a forecast, and there is sooo much more that goes into a weather pattern than a single index or an index composite (as this year has aptly demonstrated, and continues to) ;)

combined_image_1.png
combined_image.png
I believe that we here in the southeast continue to defy all logic with winter weather in recent memory...

Somewhat depends on what time period you are looking at (JFM or FMA) - for me, I prefer the composite with the month in question in the middle. However - remember - those are just composites, are not a forecast, and there is sooo much more that goes into a weather pattern than a single index or an index composite (as this year has aptly demonstrated, and continues to) ;)

combined_image_1.png
combined_image.png

Exactly, also note how insignificant the negative temperature anomalies are in phase one in FMA, phase 2 oth is a different story, we'll definitely have to keep an eye out for when the MJO moves here because recent research by Roundy and others have noted an uptick in violent tornado outbreaks in the spring during MJO phase 2 (which is largely tied to its modulation of the ET rossby wave train creating a favorable planetary wave configuration for severe wx)

Exactly, also note how insignificant the negative temperature anomalies are in phase one in FMA, phase 2 oth is a different story, we'll definitely have to keep an eye out for when the MJO moves here because recent research by Roundy and others have noted an uptick in violent tornado outbreaks in the spring during MJO phase 2 (which is largely tied to its modulation of the ET rossby wave train creating a favorable planetary wave configuration for severe wx)
Thanks, Webb! You added a bit of sunshine to a cloudy, windy day!
Best! Phil

789cdeb2c79e926a2d7aa1fe046d6c0d.jpg

If Tennessee is frigid and north Florida is blowtorch, it could get interesting somewhere in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

789cdeb2c79e926a2d7aa1fe046d6c0d.jpg

If Tennessee is frigid and north Florida is blowtorch, it could get interesting somewhere in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it usually is interesting in a place or two between here and there - and i'm not referring to weather, either ... :D

I have heard that the UK does a fairly good job with the MJO compared to a lot of the other models.

Yeah, the GEFS is among, if not the worst ensemble package for MJO forecasts outside the western Pacific and Maritime Continent when it's often pretty obvious that the MJO is going to enter the western hemisphere anyway. The canonical fast and dampening biases I noted a week or so ago in nearly all model suites have also held up here as well. I would anticipate this MJO pulse to enter the Indian Ocean near the very end of February and 1st week of March which does give us at least a brief window of opportunity for something wintry while our climatology is still somewhat respectable.

There are definitely a lot of good winter storms which produced at least 5-6"+ of snow across a sizable portion of east-central NC that come to mind near the end of February and beginning of March...
February 26-27 2004
March 1-3 1980
March 1-3 1978
February 28-March 2 1969
February 26-28 1963
March 2-4 1942
February 27-28 1937
March 1-3 1927
February 27-28 1924

It's really hard to believe another El Nino is attempting to legitimately emerge after one of the longest and strongest events of the past few centuries just wrapped up a little less than a year ago. If another El Nino successfully develops, I can imagine global temperatures will spike yet again. It's amazing to see how warm the global SSTAs are at the moment and another El Nino would only add insult to a semi-permanent injury...
cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

There's no precedent for another El Nino developing immediately after an exceptionally large event (within 2 years) in the observational record that goes back to the mid 19th century. Looking at Quinn's ENSO reconstruction, there may have been another El Nino immediately after the super NINO in 1828. Other than that, I don't see any other legitimate instances of this occurring in at least the last 500 years, which certainly bolsters the argument that a significant proportion of the observed behavior in natural phenomena such as ENSO has a non-negligible and potentially large anthropogenic component via encouraging more rapid recovery of the West Pacific Warm Pool...

Here's the 7 day SST anomaly change, yea thanks largely to the MJO, we've seen a huge increase in the central Pacific SSTAs
cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png

Back