• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Storm5 said:
JLL1973 said:
accu35 said:
I noticed north Arkansas is now play with that system, just curious if it trends further south towards Memphis like earlier runs?

Looks like to me it's trended well northwest. Last night I was in the ice zone now it's in northwest arkansas
where are you located

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"Corinth, Ms "

As is typical following large-scale North Pacific blocking regimes, over the course of this week, the once prominent northeast Pacific/Alaskan block will pinch off, retrograde westward, and dissipate over far eastern Siberia, leaving a massive vortex in its wake over Alaska (+EPO) by this time next week. The concurrent extension of the Pacific jet is liable to flood North America with mild, Pacific air. Hence, the eastern US should become blowtorch warm by mid-January and this warmth may persist into late January... In order to re-invigorate the -ENSO/WQBO/low Solar favored poleward-displaced Aleutian ridge, and the -EPO/-WPO/+TNH SE Canada/Great Lakes anomalous PV gyre to return like we saw in 2013-14/2014-15 & in portions of December and this past week, we need to see the Pacific jet retract in the long range. Good luck trying to get that to happen by January 25th or perhaps before February for that matter. Eventually it's liable to return... (& there are some legitimate signs of a potential renewed anticyclonic wave breaking event beginning to fester in the north-central Pacific by week 2.5-3, but any subsequent & legitimate pattern change would have to wait at least a week or more after said ACWB event developed, (assuming that it actually amplified), hence there's likely no legitimate pattern reversal in sight)). Of course, it doesn't help matters either that the stratospheric polar vortex continues to stabilize and intensify (as would be expected in a WQBO/-ENSO event) and the WQBO/-ENSO (cool neutral-NINA) base state becomes increasingly unfavorable & mild in the eastern and especially southeastern US deeper into winter...

I definitely don't see any signs of a cooler pattern returning until the 25th-30th at the earliest... By then, the z500 configuration reverses completely over east Asia and would kickstart kickstart a renewed (& aforementioned) ACWB event in the northeastern Pacific that could have a legitimate chance to reverse the -GPHas (negative geopotential height anomalies) & associated vortex over Alaska, but a lot can and likely will change between now and then. 
A reversal would certainly be favored over Alaska considering the -ENSO/WQBO/low solar background is usually most efficient at producing a poleward Aleutian/Alaskan ridge...

The agreement amongst the EPS and GEFS is pretty stellar for the 10-15, huge Alaskan vortex and concurrent southeastern Canada ridge leads to a blowtorch warm look over most of the US minus the west coast. Thereafter (~ last week of January), we could see the pattern begin to resort back to what we observed in late December as the trough off the west coast begins to break down and a ridge starts to go back up in the northeast Pacific...

eps_t850a_5d_noram_61-1024x768.png

gefs_t850a_5d_noram_65-1024x768.png

Not to mention, we will have a ridge at 500mb, but there is going to be a huge arctic moving across. I do think we go above normal but with high pressure to our nothing the cold will push south at the SFC. I think after the 15, it should be better. The MJO is forecasted by euro and gfs to go into 8/1/2. That's $$$$

Storm5 said:
JLL1973 said:
accu35 said:
I noticed north Arkansas is now play with that system, just curious if it trends further south towards Memphis like earlier runs?

Looks like to me it's trended well northwest. Last night I was in the ice zone now it's in northwest arkansas
where are you located

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5 miles south south of ms, tn state line in northeast ms

I personally don't buy modeled MJO forecasts more than several days out esp in an instance like this since all the suites (especially the GEFS) falsely resolve the MJO as a faster-moving moist-CCKW because they can't properly simulate the stratiform and upper level diabatic heating anomalies (hence they move the MJO too quickly through the tropics). Even when an event is ongoing, most guidance has a bias to send the MJO into the COD (circle of death) too quickly. Due in part to its inferior physics, the GEFS MJO forecasts are among the most atrocious of all models, with a horrendous bias to incessantly send the MJO into the western hemisphere (phases 8-1) (still not entirely sure why, although I'll try to find out soon enough). I certainly get a kick out of watching long range forecasters (Joe Bastardi for ex) cheer every time this model shows a Western Hemisphere MJO pulse, because almost all the time it doesn't verify, except when its in complete agreement with the European or if there's already a formidable MJO pulse &/or CCKW in the Pacific... Until we rid ourselves of this ongoing, extremely prolonged, and exceptionally strong westerly QBO regime (which is liable to stick around well into 2018), see external help from the extratropical stratosphere, and/or get closer to the most favorable climatology in February and March, a decent MJO pulse is not favored atm...

I made it down to 10.3. If the winds hadn't of been so strong, I think most areas with snowfall would've been 0-5 with the DPs. But, still freaking cold! Made it to 28 this afternoon with some melting but almost every yard in the neighborhood still has ample snow. Lots of icy roads still going on as well. As of 1PM tomorrow, we will have been below freezing for 72 hours here, should it not get above 32 until after then. Forecast for tomorrow is 36, which I would imagine would happen between 2-4. Gonna be close to hit 72 hours!

Just plain ugly for my back yard per 00z GFS. Nothing even close in fantasy land.. not even temps in the 30s. :(

Based on a  day by day calculation of Atlanta (used as a proxy for the SE US) average temperature anomalies in January from 1975 though 2014, I came up with the following graph (ignore the 1978 reference in these graphs):

One can clearly see (assuming you like cold):

- Being inside the circle (COD) is better than being outside the circle for all phases.
- Being in the left side of the COD is where you want to be for the best shot at being cold.
- The COD portion of phase 8, which has the asterisk, has averaged the coldest and COD phase 7 has been 2nd coldest.
- COD for phases 6, 1, 2, and 3 have been pretty chilly.
- Outside in 7, 8, 1, and 2 actually averaged near normal, not colder than normal. If the MJO is going to be there, it is best to be barely outside.
- COD for phases 4 and 5 actually averaged near normal.
- The worst places to be by far were phases 4 and 5 outside the COD.

Based on this,  I determined the following path to be about the ultimate path for best chances at extended SE US cold:

-

Shawn said:
Just plain ugly for my back yard per 00z GFS.  Nothing even close in fantasy land.. not even temps in the 30s. :(

I think February will/might be okay for us. You are right though, in the long range, it's not looking too good.  It would have been awesome to have capitalized now though, with all that cold air in place. If we had gotten anything, it would have stayed on the ground for a few days.

6z GFS did look better in the LR, looks as if the 25th sends another artic plunge, setting up for fab Feb.

The NAM is picking up on some frozen precip for the northern upstate tomorrow morning. Could it be right? It did pretty well with the storm so we shall see

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GaWx said:
Lol, the 18Z GFS still has -11F for tomorrow morning's low at Greensboro, NC. What is that model smoking?

The low this morning at GSO was a very cold +6F, but that still was nowhere near the recent GFS progs in the insane -11 to -12 range meaning misses of 17F to 18F too cold! The miss the night before was 11F too cold.

At GSP, the low this morning was near +17F vs GFS progs of -1F. So, the miss this morning there was ~18F too cold! Yesterday morning's miss was 20 F too cold!

Moral of the story: Be very wary of a strong cold bias of GFS lows over substantial snowcover with good radiational cooling conditions being assumed. Expect it to be far too cold in many cases and you'd probably be right.

GaWx said:
GaWx said:
Lol, the 18Z GFS still has -11F for tomorrow morning's low at Greensboro, NC. What is that model smoking?

The low this morning at GSO was a very cold +6F, but that still was nowhere near the recent GFS progs in the insane -11 to -12 range meaning misses of 17F to 18F too cold! The miss the night before was 11F too cold.

At GSP, the low this morning was near +17F vs GFS progs of -1F. So, the miss this morning there was ~18F too cold! Yesterday morning's miss was 20 F too cold!

Moral of the story: Be very wary of a strong cold bias of GFS lows over substantial snowcover with good radiational cooling conditions being assumed. Expect it to be far too cold in many cases and you'd probably be right.

I honestly expected quite a few below 0 readings in NC this morning. It goes to show just how hard it really is to have negative readings in the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back