• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Maria

Would a weaker than forecast hurricane change the direction in which she goes?
"Would" is a maybe at best; "could" is a possibility. A lot depends on steering currents, and what PR did to the overall direction, and where an eye may reform, and when that might happen ... etc., ...

EDIT: I was just listening to JB on the radio while driving from the courthouse and he says that FL "has absolutely 0 chance of being affected by Maria." I wonder why I suddenly have this sinking sensation in my gut ...

Last edited:
Depends really. For now, the center had moved due west between 11 and 2 along the coast, but is moving more NW again.

Looks like it's still moving more west than north on IR. That said its hard to be sure of that. Something to watch and see if it can clear the coast or does friction from Hispanola pull it in.

Looks like it's still moving more west than north on IR. That said its hard to be sure of that. Something to watch and see if it can clear the coast or does friction from Hispanola pull it in.
Precisely ... another of many variables ...

Still no true support for a Southeast hit. Here is the 18z hurricane modeling.
15_L_tracks_latest.png

I'm thinking probably close to what Jose has done up the east coast

Of course things could change but that's my theory right now

Certainly highly doubt Florida, the Carolinas are still in play though if it shifts westward

I hope it can gyrate some rain up here! But if anything forms, it'll probably drift into Texas! :(
A route to the north or northeast out of the Caribbean into the east-central Gulf, SW Atlantic, or a drift into Central America is favored at this time of the year, the stronger mid-latitude westerlies usually steer TCs away from Texas in the 2nd half of the season although it's not impossible for TX to see them.

Texas season pretty much shuts down once the fronts start coming, I'm expecting the next Texas storm to be an EPAC recurve, Norma at one point was going to recurve over Texas and then just sort of died

Texas season pretty much shuts down once the fronts start coming, I'm expecting the next Texas storm to be an EPAC recurve, Norma tried and failed
Yeah after mid-late September when the Rockies ridge erodes it usually comes to a close. Unfortunately, areas of SW FL recently affected by Irma are in the climatological sweet spot for a US hit in October

this is pretty wow

We would like to thank the crew of the latest Air Force Reserve
mission for their incredible service today. After beginning their
mission this morning before the center first moved onshore, the crew
went above and beyond, returning to Curacao to refuel, and then
heading back to Puerto Rico to catch Maria's center when it first
moved back off the coast.
The data collected by the crew was
incredibly important for us to analyze Maria's intensity and
structure after moving across the island, and we are grateful for
their effort.

Last edited:
"Would" is a maybe at best; "could" is a possibility. A lot depends on steering currents, and what PR did to the overall direction, and where an eye may reform, and when that might happen ... etc., ...

EDIT: I was just listening to JB on the radio while driving from the courthouse and he says that FL "has absolutely 0 chance of being affected by Maria." I wonder why I suddenly have this sinking sensation in my gut ...

I wouldn't say absolute 0 chance tor FL but I would say under 1% for FL and GA and under 5% for SC. The models are in about as much agreement as you ever see and they're well off the coast. I don't think this weakening means much regarding future track. The Outer Banks obviously are at the highest risk of any SE US location but I'd go only about 20% right now for an actual NC landfall though higher chance for significant effects.

I want to thank Jose for a job well done. Thank you, good sir, for protecting much of the SE!

I wouldn't say absolute 0 chance tor FL but I would say under 1% for FL and GA and under 5% for SC. The models are in about as much agreement as you ever see and they're well off the coast. I don't think this weakening means much regarding future track. The Outer Banks obviously are at the highest risk of any SE US location but I'd go only about 20% right now for an actual NC landfall though higher chance for significant effects.

I want to thank Jose for a job well done. Thank you, good sir, for protecting much of the SE!
Part was semantics; the other part ... :rolleyes:

You live in a world of statistical likelihoods; I in one of possibilities vs. probabilities; much the same end-game though my focus is often words and yours numbers ... ;)

Still ... puts us on the same page at so many levels ... :cool:

Last edited:
I heard there's no power at all in PR, even most of the chasers have either not reported or only briefly made a report, no real details
Doesn't surprise me. They are customers of the outage management software I used to develop (not yet in production), and their power grid infrastructure is one of the worst we had ever seen.

Doesn't surprise me. They are customers of the outage management software I used to develop (not yet in production), and their power grid infrastructure is one of the worst we had ever seen.

They might as well start from scratch and build a smart grid with wind and solar and batteries. Otherwise it’s throwing good money after bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back