• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Maria

They might as well start from scratch and build a smart grid with wind and solar and batteries. Otherwise it’s throwing good money after bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Setting aside any consideration of a storm anywhere near this one blowing out windmills and ripping solar panels, how big would those batteries have to be to sustain an entire island that size? What would they cost? Just curious ...

They might as well start from scratch and build a smart grid with wind and solar and batteries. Otherwise it’s throwing good money after bad.

Agreed, and bioengineer some trees to produce pizza as fruit so they can have something to eat to save power from having to cook.

I don’t know ask Elon Musk he’s working on batteries for houses and the grid now.

I don't ask folks I don't know -- it's just that I read and hear but no one ever tells me the cost/benefit ...

Not taking issue with anyone, or any "solution" - just want to see facts and not naked statements ...

Last edited:
I don't ask folks I don't know -- it's just that I read and hear but no one ever tells me the cost/benefit ...
Their government is spending big bucks on software, but not infrastructure. I don't know why, because the outage management software is certainly not going to prevent outages, and is actually useless in the situation they are facing now. But I can assure you, any $ that is spent or not spent is totally up to the governing powers that be.

I might add that Florida has one of the best power grids we've seen. That is only because of the complete wipe-out it took in 2004. Those guys were very smart in the way they built back (distribution grid is mostly underground), and that's why power was restored to those who could receive it so quickly after Irma. That, and the fact that we all have more experience in dealing with hurricane disasters now.

Edit: I'm talking about Duke Energy in particular. Can't speak for smaller companies. FPL is on top of it, too.

Lots of very deep convection firing on the southern side. Need to watch and see if it pulls this thing south. At the current track it will be very close to DR.
Back to weather and couldn't agree more ... models have not apparently considered what the DR may (not "will') do ... so there may be some blinders on ...

Pretty decent rates here

bbbd4b4056919da988e38f8a15308db4.png

Setting aside any consideration of a storm anywhere near this one blowing out windmills and ripping solar panels, how big would those batteries have to be to sustain an entire island that size? What would they cost? Just curious ...

I don’t know ask Elon Musk he’s working on batteries for houses and the grid now.

All he needs is about a trillion dollars from the government and he'll have it all figured out..

Maria and the closed upper ridge may be just enough to bring the remnants of Jose back into mby lolz

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back